Logo

Converting electric to manual start

ccoutlaw

what parts and how much would

what parts and how much would it cost for parts to convert honda 30 hp electric start to manual pull start

"Most people want to add elect

"Most people want to add electric start not remove it...so this may be difficult to figure out without seeing the motor.

Generally...you will need the rewind starter, possibly a new flywheel, cerainly the starter pulley, recoil bracket and a neutral lockout cable and bracket if you want it. Last of all you will need a new hood, since yours does not have an opening for the pull starter.

I have never done this conversion and there are no kits that I know of. Changing from pull start to electric start, you need a new flywheel because the starter needs the teeth to turn it. I do not know if a change is necessary when going the other way..

Just the above parts cost about $800 plus the cost of decals for the hood. They would add another $100 or so.

Hopefully, someone else on the forum has done this and can tell you some work arounds. At least maybe for the hood."

"I work on some 2003 20hp that

"I work on some 2003 20hp that came rigged as both pull and electric. They have the recoil pull with rope handle, neutral safety lockout cable, and the cutaway hood along with an electric starter and remote control.

So, I'm guessing that you wouldn't need to replace the flywheel. I'm also guessing that you could probably get away with just hacking a hole in your hood to accomodate the pull rope with handle if you don't care what it looks like. Otherwise, the parts list Mike gave you should apply.

I CAN tell you, with complete certainty, that no one that operates those boats uses the pull start unless the battery is dead but it does work fine when needed.
Good luck."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
375791.jpg
I am no longer switching to manual start on a honda 30 hp. this came with the motor and wanted to know if i should throw it or is it worth selling?"

Back