Logo

Problem keep it running

bw94

Regular Contributor
"It's a 70 hp Evinrude,&#4

"It's a 70 hp Evinrude,(TE70tlce). It takes a while to start, them when its running it will run rough then eventually die, almost like its starving for gas,it spits and sputters. Carbs have been cleaned 3 time already, the last time pretty good. Compression at 120 psi on a 3 cylinders. any ideas?"

"many people,are under the ass

"many people,are under the assumption,that once it kicks off,u have nothing left to do....they assume,it sits and runs,as if fuel injected...not so,...u need to raise warm-up lever to a reasonabe fast idle,and FEATHER the choke/primer,.to provide a slight enrichment of fuel,till it runs ok on its on.push key IN AND HOLD WHILE CRANKING,..release when starts,then in/out a few times till warm up."

mine dosen't have the warm

mine dosen't have the warm-up lever. The low spped jets are fixed there is no adjustment.

"have u tried pulling,out the

"have u tried pulling,out the handle,then adv it...i would like to see a pic of ur control box..if poss,.."

"not a prob bub.........click

"not a prob bub.........click on my name....that goes,to my shop comp.........i am hm alot too...just away fr info............
however............i can ..tell u this..u have a good eng,..did u just get it?....u MUST,adv the throttle on that eng..........me,and many others,coudl start it w/out doing it,but,...we would have the probs u have...........looks to be an 89...before the 'quick-start' came about...."

"by advancing the throttle, do

"by advancing the throttle, do you mean giving it throttle then but it back in neutral to start. I've had the boat for about a year, I got it from a guy that let it sit up for about 6 years. I've change the impeller, and switched to a standard fuel pump, mixing the gas and oil. Rebuild the carbs, cleaned them three times. I ordered a piston stop tool,so i can check the timing, and do a link and sync."

"Would decarbbing help, though

"Would decarbbing help, thought about running some seafoam through it, where would i put into, the gas tank or spray into carbs or where?"

"No, what he means is for u to

"No, what he means is for u to be able to rev up your motor in neutral. An oem control box may have a "warm up" lever, or an after market control box may require you to pull straight out on the throttle lever before pushing it forward to rev up your motor, but not put in it gear. When it begins to sputter, push in the key/choke a couple of times and see if it smoothes back out some. If so, keep bumping it until it warms up."

Back