Logo

1990 115 hp Evinrude loses power

gleninaz

1990 115hp rude that had a new powerhead three years ago. Starts great and runs until it hits speed then dies out. If I pump the bulb it runs great until I stop pumping. I am thinking fuel pump. If I order a new pump do I need to order gaskets or seals at the same time? Is it easy to replace. I am a great woodworker but no mechanic. Thanks.

"Well...
Very easy to fix you

"Well...
Very easy to fix yourself, and absolutely a common failure mode...pumping the primer bulb to keep running. Very classic failure of the fuel pump.
It is a VRO2 pump, located on the port side of the engine, with various electrical and fuel lines attached.
The VRO2 replacement is 5007420. It is a complete kit.

HOWEVER>>> I seriously recommend this procedure first.
Remove the pump from it's bracket, and check the tightness of the torx head screws that surround both the front side and the back side of the pump. I have seen loose screws that allow air leaks that impair pump performance.

If they are all tight (plus 1/8 turn), and IF YOU DON'T WANT TO REBUILD YOURS, then it looks as if you may have to shell out the 400 bucks for a new pump.

Rebuild kits are also available."

"So, I ordered a fuel pump for

"So, I ordered a fuel pump for $80 yesterday before I saw this. What does that do and should I try to cancel the order and get the VR02 pump? Thanks."

"Now it makes me wonder which

"Now it makes me wonder which pump you have. BRP parts site says you should have the VRO2 which is about 400 bucks.
But, over the years, people have converted the VRO2 to the old style unit that sorta looks like a house. (Not round).
That would be the one that runs about 80 bucks.

So, either way it is an easy job to install yourself. If the motor is still "factory" then it calls for the VRO2.

Look it up on shop.evinrude.com. Your 115 HP fuel pump is all the way at the bottom of the section selections."

I am sure it is the VRO2. I ju

I am sure it is the VRO2. I just thought the fuel pump would be the part. I cancelled the order and will get a VRO2 pump if the screws are not the problem. Thanks.

Great and simple explanation o

Great and simple explanation of the pump. I won't need a manual because I am just going to replace it with a new pump and hope that fixes the fuel delivery problem. Thanks.

"ok,.......how are u going to

"ok,.......how are u going to do the tests i mentioned,above to verify,it is working properly??
u r not going to verify its oiling system.,warning signals??.change the oil filter in tank?/clean tank?...w/a new VRO?....boy,r u flipping a coin..."

"Better listen to JWB.
You ha

"Better listen to JWB.
You have to bleed the air from the oil line, test the audible warning systems, and measure oil usage after you get it running.
UNLESS someone has disabled the oil injection and you are running on premix already.
How about it? On pre-mix right now?"

Sounds like I need to get the

Sounds like I need to get the pump fixed locally so I don't screw it up. If it was unscrew the old and slap on the new I would do it. Thanks.

Back