Logo

Sea Horse Finicky Starting 1975 115 hp

tboltmike

Regular Contributor
"My '75, 115 has always started with just a couple of seconds of cranking.

However, the last 3 times I tried to start it wouldn't fire. Pulled plugs they looked wet, so I tried and cranked a few spins with the plugs out to sweep the cyls before trying again. Still no hits.

Before all of this started, I had run most of the gas out of the bowls and chocked to kill. I have always done this. This was after a hose run after my last outing about 3 weeks before. I had thought that maybe the floats had stuck open and flooded the engine.

Pulled a plug wire and tried to jump a spark (screwdriver blade in the boot and brining it to ground) ..no spark.

A few days later with all plugs and wires in place, removed the #1 wire from the terminal block, still would not start.

Then squirted some mixed gas in the carbs, it cranked up and ran 5 or so minutes before I killed it by touching the #1 wire back to its terminal (the switch was off).
Reconnected the #1 wire and the engine started right back up, no priming, and ran 10 more minutes and shutdown using the ignition switch. Started several more times with no problem.

Don't know if I have several problems going on, primary/secondary electrical, and fuel or maybe some intermittent ignition switch wiring problem.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks Mike"

"i'd suspect the plugs..,b

"i'd suspect the plugs..,bad ign switch,weak coils etc,... i'd also,inst a new set of champions, QL77jc4 plugs,gapped at .030 ...no surface gap plugs at all in that engine...."

Back