Logo

Tach calabration 1984 115 hp

andy_from_ar

Contributing Member
"I have a 115 merc ,84 model,17pitch prop on a 2008 20' 72" aluminum boat 3 degree hull. I put a used tach on it,i was not sure it was calabrated. So i got a"stinger 3514 auto meter" with clap on pic up.But for the life of me i cant get a good reading .Tryed all the trigger setting & all the plug wires, but no,thing.It is ether earadic or blinks out.Works good on my car.I could use a little help. I,m pushing 5000 rpm. Am i missing something."

Automotive tachs do not work p

Automotive tachs do not work properly on outboards. On the back of your outboard tach should be a setting to match it to your motor. In your case it should be set for 6P (pulses).

"Its not relly an auto tach. I

"Its not relly an auto tach. It,s a hand heald mult-meter with Ohm,Hz,Dwell & the like.It has a setting for 4 stroke& 2 stroke& # of cycs. I have my merc tach set on 6P & it,s idealing at 600rpm like the manual said.I don,t think its to far off. I just can,t get a constant reading with this meter, witch is why i got the meter for,to work on the OB. Anyway thanks again."

"Faulty tach? Had one before t

"Faulty tach? Had one before that almost caused me to sell the rig...

Most landlubbers do without a tach as it's better to listen to the revs IMO"

"The reason i whated to know i

"The reason i whated to know if the tach was right on was to make sure that i wasn,t over reving at w.o.t.This an old motor on a new boat"

Back