Logo

2003 30 hp bf130 miss at idle and water in oil

2manyboats

"I have a 2003 130 with 500+ hours. I bought the motor in 2006 and it was showing 75 hours. It ran great till about 2 months ago when it developed a miss at idle. Once you got above 1800 rpms it would smooth out and run fine. I changed plugs, but they looked ok. I ran a heavy dose of seafoam through a tank of gas, then ran a heavy does of techron and ran on a portable tank to eliminate any fuel problems in the built in tank. It was about time for an oil change and when I drained the oil it looked like chocolate milk. This oil only had about 100hrs on it and this the first time the oil was not right. My serial # is BZBE 1202080 so I think I am not in the cracked block group. Any suggestions on what to check next?"

"A couple things you can check

"A couple things you can check...

I do not know it you idle it a lot...but if your thermostat is stuck open, it can cause the engine to run too cold. Condensation can accumulate settling in the oil.

If you can check the temperature it should be approximately 140 - 150 deg F.

One other thing to check would be as soon as you finish running the motor for a while...pull the spark plugs and check them for any signs of water.

Your engine does fall in the serial number range for potential cracks in your head. If you find water on any of the plugs, it might be good to check with your dealer."

"After a conversation with our

"After a conversation with our local Honda dealer, the motor is at their shop awaiting word from Honda on how to proceed. I will post what they say."

"Turns out there was a crack a

"Turns out there was a crack and water was not only in the oil, but had been in the top end and done some damage. This water in the cylinders was causing the miss. Honda is taking care of the repair."

Back