Logo

Evinrude

gator19

"I have an Evinrude 25 hp elec

"I have an Evinrude 25 hp electric start tiller drive. I am looking to convert this to a console steer. Can this be done? If so, where do I start and what kind of cost am I looking at?"

"To convert the steering you s

"To convert the steering you simply need a steering set-up and a link arm for the motor end.

Teleflex and Uflex both put together a "steering kit in a box" for a little over 150 bucks (basic system including a steering wheel).

If you also want to add controls (throttle, shift and possibly start) then you will have to open your wallet a little wider.

In general you do not need any special "hook up kit" for the motor end. The control cables will simply take the place of the tiller cables that are currently there.

However, you will need a control box (with or without the key start), throttle and shift cables and a harness (if you want the start at the control).

Going with new (stuff) could well cost you 300 dollars or more depending how fancy you want to get.

If you feel comfortable doing the rigging yourself you can save yourself 3-400 bucks in labour which would be typical for a console/steering install on a small boat not currently rigged.

If you brought this to me and wanted new OEM parts I would estimate 800-1000 bucks (parts/labour).

You can probably shop Ebay and still use new parts for about 300 or so (if you are patient).

You could go with a used control but I would definately go with a new steering system. It's the cable that wears out and often costs more to replace than buying the entire kit..."

"Hello Travis,

If you get m

"Hello Travis,

If you get me your model number i can look up the factory engine side parts for ya
"

It was really faded and hard t

It was really faded and hard to read... but from what i could see.

E?oteeIc... does this sound right?

"That could be correct. I bou

"That could be correct. I bought the boat used, it is a aluminum jon boat and the motor was a add on, so it could very well be a 1991."

Back