Logo

8hp Honda oil in cylinders when stored

timorjc

"When I store my engine the cy

"When I store my engine the cylinders fill up with crankcase oil and becomes hydrolocked. I am storing the engine the way the OM suggests, with the carry handle up and the prop down, and the problem is new. I can remove the plugs, drain the oil from the cylinders, clean the plugs, add oil, and it will start and run fine. I noticed a TINY amount of metal in the oil draining from the cylinders, but none in the crankcase oil.
Could there be a broken oil ring on the piston(s)or a bad lower crank seal? Any ideas?

Thanks"

"I am not sure which owner&#39

"I am not sure which owner's manual that you are referring to or which model 8hp that you have.

I think your main problem is just laying it on the wrong side. It happens all the time...

Any manual that I have seen says to store the motor on it's side or straight up and down like it hangs on the boat. That side usually has a couple of small feet on it(on the metal casing just below where the hood sits) to lay in down on. It may even say "this side up" on the other side of the engine.

I have not checked all the manuals, but this is the way the 8HP should be stored in the ones that I did.

Newer style motors lay on their starboard side.
Older style motors lay on their port side.

If you respond with the motor's serial number, I can be more concrete with my answer."

"In my 2003 owners manual it s

"In my 2003 owners manual it says starboard side OR with the carry handle up. In either case, it still floods the cylinders with oil. My motor has two little "feet" built into the starboard side of the lower cowling. If I leave it on the boat in an upright position, it will not flood the cylinders."

"I am not trying to argue...bu

"I am not trying to argue...but (my grandmother used to say...it's none of my business but..."

I think you are misintrepeting the wording. On page 76 of your manual it says "Store the outboard motor either vertically or horizontally with the tiller handle side up". It then shows pictures of the two ways. Vertically is just as it hangs on your boat. The other way is laying on its side with the tiller handle side up...not on its back.

You say it still leaks oil into cylinders even if you lay it correctly...

Check the oil level with the motor standing straight up and down. Give it time to settle. It may be too high. Make sure it is a little below the full mark.

If you still have the problem, then there is probably an internal problem. A leakdown test can help determine if it is rings, valves , etc"

Back