Logo

What pitch prop do I need

cabu1966

"I just bought a used 16'x

"I just bought a used 16'x6' 83 starcraft aluminum bass boat with what I believe to be a 1987 mariner 40 hp outboard motor (it's been painted completely camoflauge). The model number is 40 ELO and the serial number is 6E9 L 428686. Motor runs fine, but it looks like someone took a bite out of 2 blades of the prop. So I figure to buy a new prop, but what pitch do I need?"

"Unfortunately there is no tab

"Unfortunately there is no table that can take in all your variables.

Props are fitted to the exact hull/motor combo after considering how you will use the boat, how it's typically loaded etc.

In general I would expect to see an 11, 12 or 13 pitch on a 40 horse.

Normally a prop is fitted by trial and error using a tach.

If you can find the exact model of your boat then we can figure the total weight etc and make a fairly educated (guess) as what pitch would be reasonable..."

"I have heard that the old pro

"I have heard that the old prop should have the pitch stamped on it, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out the model of the boat either. It is fully camoflauged, though I did find the HIN which is how I figured out the year and manufacturer. I continue to ask on a couple of forums with photos, but have not had much luck yet. I will keep trying and post back. May have to take it to a shop and let them help."

"In 1983 Starcraft built 2 &#3

"In 1983 Starcraft built 2 "bass" models in the 16-17 foot range.

The model 60 Bass (I think that is what it was called) had a hull weight of just over 600 pounds (not rigged).

The 17 Bass weighed in at over 1200.

That is a significant difference when trying to determine "what pitch"....

If all else fails you can look for the coast guard plate (which legally should be there somewhere) listing the max horsepower, max cap etc, that should allow us to figure out which model you have...."

Hmmm. Actual length is 15.5&#3

Hmmm. Actual length is 15.5' so I'm guessing it to be the smaller of the two. I am going to try and call Starcraft tomorrow and see if they are any help based on the HIN.

"Starcraft should be able to t

"Starcraft should be able to tell you exactly what you have.

And if the hull weight is about 600, plus the motor (about 200 or so), plus you and your junk and maybe a fishing buddy and their junk, battery, safety gear, gas etc, my best guess would be a 13 pitch...."

"Ok, I have gotten in touch wi

"Ok, I have gotten in touch with Starcraft and the boat is actually an 84 Bass Boss 160. Dry weight is 615. The motor is a 40 ELO with the serial number 6E9 L 428686. I plan to buy the SELOC manual, but meanwhile a couple more questions:
1. I'm going to replace the plugs, can you tell me the correct gap?
2. What should the gas/oil mix be for it?

Thanks for the help."

"50/1

go to ngk web sit

"50/1

go to ngk web site

take your old prop to a repair shop and they can determin size and pitch, and fix it"

Got it and thanks for the help

Got it and thanks for the help. I had a friend recommend a prop shop in town and will head there first of the week. NGK web site was the ticket to the gap too.

Back