Logo

1990 150 hp xr4 over heating

wahoosteve

"I just bought a boat that has a 1990 150 on it, the right bank is over heating bring up the high temp alarm, dont know how long it has been doing it before i bought it. Plenty of water out of the tell tail . Pulled thermostat covers of each side and found only top of thermostats there, rest gone.
Any ideas."

"First thing I would do is mak

"First thing I would do is make sure that all the water ports are clean and not clogged by thermostat pieces, and then replace thermostats and then run it on hose and see what it does."

"Thanks Dave, that is what i w

"Thanks Dave, that is what i was thinking, how do i check all the water ports, do i need to take the manifold off.
I will run it this week with the water cross connection disconnected to see the flow from each bank."

I ran the engine with the wate

I ran the engine with the water cross connection seperated and the right bank water was getting alot hotter and also exhaust gas coming out with the water where the left bank was a good temp and clean. Thinking i have a exhaust gasket leak. the hottest area is the bottom cylinder.

either an exhaust gasket or a

either an exhaust gasket or a cracked head. You might want to run a compression check after you replace the gasket or take it to your local shop for more diag.

Back