Logo

1997 25hp Johnson 3 Cyl

swilliams

"Help!! I have a 1997 25hp joh

"Help!! I have a 1997 25hp johnson 2 stroke, 3 cyl. I run it on a 1548 duckhunting boat. Been a great motor, but just recently, when I take off at full throttle and in about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes it shutsdown to idle only(guardian mode I believe). It is "peeing" water good, I had the the impeller and whole water circulation system checked by an authorized dealer, OK. The dealer also said the auto oil mixing system was working fine. I believe the only thing that will send that motor to "guardian/idle only mode is overheat and/or oiling system. Thanks in advance for any info anyone can share. A little frustrating here in the middle of duck season and having motor problems."

"i also think,...that may be a

"i also think,...that may be a 'suzuki' or nissan'..eng,...u may get better info,on those boards.."

"I'm taking back first thi

"I'm taking back first thing in the morning, will be there when they open. Little confused about the suzuki/nissan part!!!!!! Thanks for the reply."

"JWB:
It is a Johnson/Evinrud

"JWB:
It is a Johnson/Evinrude engine. Normally sold as 35, but some were made as 25 intended for the Italian market. When the Italians failed to sell what they had ordered, the rest was 'dumped' around!"

"Mr. Ringvold,
Thanks for the

"Mr. Ringvold,
Thanks for the info, didn't know about the Italian market strategy by OMC. I have often wished this 25 was a 35. Currently, it pushes my 15' duck boat right at 30 mph (GPS). Pretty good for most things, but just about fast enough to get you ran over duck hunting here in Arkansas on public land. Is there a lot difference (mechanically)between the 25 and 35 version,carbs, jets, pistons, cyl. head,etc?

Back to my "shutting down to idle only speed" I am trying to figure out, I noticed Saturday when it shut down, the water coming out of the pee hole was very cool, and the cylinder head around the thermostat was really hot. Hot enough you could not hold your hand on it. Wondering if there could be some blockage somewhere in the circulation system? Motor starts easy, idles perfect, runs like new for the first 1 to 2 minutes, then shuts down to idle only."

For the record. This going to

For the record. This going to S.L.O.W. mode problem was a faulty thermostat. Put a new one in. Went ahead and replaced the water pump and had the oiling system disconnected. Will just just mix 50:1 manually.

Back