Logo

Running on one engine instead of two fuel savings

kidagain

"We are about to do the great

"We are about to do the great loop and are planning on taking our time in order to save fuel. I have seen on some blogs where boat owners are running the engines one at a time and alternating every hour or so. When I talk to boat brokers there are problems they have heard of regarding burnt out shaft bearings. Is there a way around this?

The boats we are looking at have 2000- 2003 volvo diesel tamd 480 hp engines.

Is this a good idea? I like the idea of going slow to save fuel along with the ability to go fast when we need to. And no we are not trawler kind of people.

We are looking at Cruiser and Silverton Yachts.

Also if y'all can give me a list of spare parts I should carry on the boat (without including new engines) I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the input. David

happy.gif
"

"David,

Fuel burn at low sp

"David,

Fuel burn at low speed is nominal with those engines. I know it's a long trip but unless you plan on trolling, I wouldn't bother. My 2 cents worth, and you may be overpaying."

"David,
I have Volvo TAMD60

"David,
I have Volvo TAMD60Bs with Twin Disk 1.54 to 1 transmissions in a 37' Marinette aft cabin. I ran from Port Huron, MI to Peoria, IL about 800 miles mostly on one engine, alternating each day.
It depends mostly on the transmission, and its luberication. Mine are over filled due to oil cooler, so when not running the input shaft stills sees oil. I too am planning on doing another leg of the "Loop" leaving Havana, IL late summer, early fall.
Roger"

Back