Logo

1967 Mercury 98hp powerhead removal

wperry

"The last time I had it out th

"The last time I had it out the water stream just slowly quit. I have removed the lower unit checked everything and water tube and impeller are clear of obstuctions and seem to be working. I think that I need to remove my powehead on my 1967 Mercury 9.8hp. The reason is,I think that washer where the water inlet tube goes into the bottom of the powerhead maybe melted or I have some other blockage at the top. I have a manual but it seems like a lot of work to get it off. Is there a easy way to get to this area without having to remove the powerhead? Maybe by taking the exhaust housing off. Or is there a easy way to remove the powerhead?
Thank you,
Wilson"

"Just because the Tell Tale fl

"Just because the Tell Tale flow slowed down (or stopped altogether) doesn't mean there's anything wrong. The plastic fitting in the lower cowling where the water comes out is easily plugged, stopping the Tell Tale flow. I suggest you remove the hose from it, fire up the motor, and see if the water is flowing. If so, unplug the plastic piece with a wire and go boating!

Jeff"

Back