Logo

1999 150 HP Optimax fuel problem

littlemike

"I have a 99 optimax 150 on a 94 procraft that I just purchased. Runs great no missing, but it is dumping fuel out the exhaust. went through almost 1/2 tank in 10 to 15 minutes, any ideas?"

"Michael, first off will say t

"Michael, first off will say that's a weird one.

Anyhow, when you say it's dumping fuel out the exhaust do you mean it's coming out with the exhaust and the water from the cooling system (out through the relief holes and through the prop) or that you know for sure that it's only coming out the exhaust.

If it's in fact coming out with the water from the cooling system I would suspect that you have a rupture in the water cooled portion of the fuel system.

When the fuel first gets to the outboard itself it goes to a (conventional) crank case driven fuel pump. It feeds the gas to a water separating filter then on to the vapor separator/electric fuel pump that feeds the fuel rails (which ultimately feed the direct injectors in the cylinders).

Since the electric fuel pump supplies more fuel than the motor can use and the fuel rail is only capable of storing so much, the excess fuel is returned to the vapor separator but is first "water cooled" to remove the heat generated when it was pressurized.

If there is a rupture at some point in that return line it would be "dumping" the excess fuel directly into the cooling system which ultimately goes down the leg and out the exhaust.

Since this was "left over" gas that is getting dumped it wouldn't effect the operation (the two fuel pumps would continue to supply fuel to the rails).

That is my guess as I have never heard of this problem before and can't think of another explaination...."

"I have an appointment at the

"I have an appointment at the shop wednesday so I will let you know what happens, it appears to only be coming out the exhaust. I didn't want to run it too much, not sure what damage I may cause to it, not to mention the enviroment."

Re: 150 HP Optimax fuel problem

Sounds like a Fuel Regulator Diaphram leaking. This allows more fuel into the cylinders and does not burn all of it. The left over fuel is thrown out with the exhaust. Try contacting ThePelicanServices.com they make-up the Diaphrams without having to replace the entire Fuel Rail.

Re: Pelican Services.com (scam?)

I have called several times and left messages, I have sent e-mails that have not
been returned.* I*was told by the mercury dealer that I have been scammed and
there is no after market for the fuel rail diaphragm.* I certainly hope they are
wrong, however at this point it don’t look good.*Capt. Todd will not return my calls or my emails.* I am out 380 dollars and a fuel rail.* Does any one know this guy?, has anyone had problems with this guy? When I told the police that the guy only accepts cash or cashiers ck mailed in the box with the rail, they also said I was most likely scammed.* I know sometimes things aren't what they seem and I am just hoping the guy was out of town or something.
This member (toddieie) is refuring poeple to ThePelicanServices.Com (which is him self) also known as Capt Todd, check it out

Last edited:
Re: Pelican Services.com (scam?)

The Pelican Services. Com returned my call this afternoon. He said he was on an offshore fishing trip. While thats all fine and dandy I would have appreciated a phone call or email to let me know what was going on. He said it was mailed out Saturday. This guy may be alright and reputibal. But I sure was left in the dark.

After a lot of lies it was finally MAILED A WEEK LATER, would not do business with this guy. He got real ugly with me and had a bad attitude. I installed it and it did work however next time I will buy a factory part at more money however I know it is new and I Get a warranty. I don't know what kind of quality the diaphragm is, or how long it will last. He said he changes his every 2 years,why if it is as good as a new one? A new factory diaphragm should last at least 10 years, mine was 12 years old and I damaged it while working on the motor, other wise it would still be working. I should have bought a factory part. I may be in the same situation in just a few years, (don't know how long this cheap one will last that he makes himself or so he says) The guy may do quality work, but at this point I just don't know. I tried not to hammer this guy to much, but the facts are the facts. Did he build a new diaphragm? YES
Did he mail it when he said he did? NO
Did it work? YES
Will It last? DO NOT KNOW
Would I buy from him again? NO
Was it a good experience? NO
You will have to make your own decision and of course his side of the story will be different, there are always two sides to every story.

OK, this is to set the story straight about this naryator and his experience with ThePelicanServices.com.

Naryator wanted a Diaphram intalled in a Rail ASAP. He was told to send a USPS money orde, or cash, for his rush order and overnight to ThePelicanServices.com...and it would be a 1 day turnaround. He sent a CHECK that was NOT the correct amount...and arrived 4 DAYS late...Checks take 5 days to clear a bank. Diaphrams will not be made-up until they are paid for, which is ALWAYS advised. When his Diaphram wasn't rushed back to him when promised and took the NORMAL 4 day turnaround...he comes up with this story to dis-credit.

ThePelicanServices.com discontinued its 24 Hour Turnaround Core Service... because of BAD Cores being returned by People trying to change the Diaphram themselves, making the Assembly unusable, and sending them to us as Cores...which are useless to us as well.

ThePelicanServices.com has made-up and sent out Diaphrams for 2 years all over the WORLD... and NO PROBLEMS.

People are getting Diaphrams from ThePelicanServices.com with only 4 years on their engines...WHY?...because Deterioration of the Diaphrams depends on various things...not to mention shade-tree mistakes.

ThePelicanServices.com does this Service to SAVE A PERSON HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS and has the ABILITY to do it.

It's simple...If you have the money to buy new Fuel Rails...go for it.

If you don't...we can help. We're not trying to win anyone's business...WE ARE SAVING YOU MONEY!

99.9% of the Fuel Rails that have problems, is due to a BAD DIAPHRAM. The Optimax Engine is not only the BEST Engine out there...it is the most MIS-DIAGNOSED Engine out there. AND, Buying Used Rails is buying someone elses problems.

Our Diaphrams are made of stronger material than the stock ones. They are guaranteed for a YEAR, if intsalled by ThePelicanServices.com...and installation is FREE.

I can see how sending extra money for return shipping would cause a problem,(not). I can also understand why a cashiers check from Capital One Bank would also cause you problems,( since you prefer untrackable cash mailed with the part in a zip lock bag), I don't think so! I am sure you claim these cash deals on your taxes. You never know who is with the IRS. Sounds a little shaddy to me. Just my gut feeling.

I know of a repair shop that is trying to set up a " drivethru lane " for the boating public.------------------Just like " Mickey D " the mechanics will have running shoes and 30 minutes training.--------Staying tuned to see how it works out.

Lets set the record straight, the real name for the fuel diaphragm as he calls it, is the (DFI tracker valve) and 350 dollars is not a fair price. The real cost of the tracker valve is $76.85 on the Internet. Type in (optimax DFI tracker valve) and you will see the valves go for, less than $100.00 each. If you look up fuel diaphragm you will never find one, I hope I have saved someone the cost and head aches that this guy gave me!

Actually Naryator I tried the Tracker Valve on my Opti and it did NOT work! Regarding the price you have of 76.85 not sure where on the net you found it, only price I got was 100 bucks. 350 sounds fair since Merc wants 1200 for a rail. I did call the powers that be and they say they send folks to this dude all the time. Am gonna give him a try and will post outcome. Hope he saves me some money - I need someone to in this great economy!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish you all the luck, don't sent cash! If you tried a new tracker valve and it did not work then his will not work either. May be something else wrong with it. Good luck! Before spending all that money go to a local shop that can hook it up to a computor for a small fee and tell you what is wrong with it. My local guy charges 50 bucks to do that.

Do not send your fuel rail to Pelican services-period. he is a scam. He will tell you and his website will state that he can fix your rail for 25% of a new one. If you send the rail to him he will tell you that you need 2 new regulators for $600.00 plus $50.00 to install, plus $100.00 to clean and $30.00 to ship it back to you. if you tell Todd (name on paypal) or david (name he uses for western union) that you do not want to spend $780.0 to repair the fuel rail he will demand you pay him thru western union for $225 that day or you do not get your fuel rail back. spread the word on this guy and put him out of business. he is a scammer!!

Back