Logo

How do I remove the starter from my Johnson 65 hp

johnsonv4

"Hello,

Any idea how to rem

"Hello,

Any idea how to remove the starter from my 1968 Johnson 65 hp v4?

I removed the two bolts that feed from under the starter in to the metal bracket which is attached to the engine block.

The problem is the two bolts can not be completely removed in order to slide out the starter from the bracket.

What am I missing?

Thanks for all your help,
Mike"

This is the bracket under the

This is the bracket under the bottom end of the motor.?
Can you not remove the bolt that holds the bracket to the crankcase and remove the motor complete with bracket.

"Yes. Just realized that same

"Yes. Just realized that same suggestion was given to me by someone earlier... It was a dirty pain in the butt, but I did remove the starter and sure enough it is frozen. I sprayed some wd40 and will let it sit for a couple of days.

So, what are my options? Buy a rebuilt starter or try to salvage the original and attempt to rebuild it myself?

Thanks,
mike"

"take it,to a starter/alternat

"take it,to a starter/alternator rebuild place....it has been my experience,that it is rebuilt properly-- 50%,...of the time.."

"Try sellers on Ebay, or a mar

"Try sellers on Ebay, or a marine salvage yard. Last time I looked on Ebay there was a dealer selling used V6 Looper engine starters for $25, guaranteed to work. At those prices I couldn't justify wasting the WD-40!"

Back