Logo

1991 60hp Johnson Slow to Start

renvette

"My engine turns really fast a

"My engine turns really fast and appears to be getting fuel, but it takes a long time to fire up (start). Sometimes I have to try 4 or 5 times before it starts. I replaced the plugs also, but no change. Any ideas are greatly appreciated."

You are pumping the fuel line

You are pumping the fuel line primer bulb until you feel that the system is fully primed?

The engine has an electric (solenoid operated ) primer (choke) is that operating ? Does it make any difference if you operate the manual lever on the primer?

The professionals will ask if you have done a compression test.

"If the choke is working prope

"If the choke is working properly (supplies fuel/no leaks), check the fitting that the choke hoses attatch to on the carb flanges or manifold. Make sure the tiny orifices are clear.

Also, remember to advance the throttle when starting. Insure that the throttle plates are moving when you do this."

"Thanks for the info Tony. Ab

"Thanks for the info Tony. About how far should I advance the throttle? Also, what/where can I check to make sure the choke is working properly?"

"Disconnect one of the choke h

"Disconnect one of the choke hoses at the carb.
Pump the primer and apply the choke with the ignition key. A stream of fuel should come out of the hose. If not try applying the choke manually by turning the red lever on the choke body.

If you have a fast idle lever on the remote box, raise it all the way. If you do not have a separate idle lever, give it about half throttle."

Back