Logo

Amount of oil in a BF 50

captb

Contributing Member
"'Bout to do the first oil

"'Bout to do the first oil change (I bought a used motor) and unsure how much oil these things call for.

Anyone have any ideas? I can't find an amount in the owner's manual.

thanks, Brandon"

"yeah, i got the filter and oi

"yeah, i got the filter and oil. just wanted to know how much to put in it.

save some time and hassle by knowing what i'm doing before i start.

thanks for the info!"

"i also wanted to ask, what do

"i also wanted to ask, what do most recommend for these motors? synthetic?

i bought petroleum based sae 30, but if synthetic's the ticket, i'll definitely go with that.

i also bought a honda filter, is it ok to run synthetic through or would i have to purchase a special filter for that?

thanks again!"

"Synthetic oils tend to keep t

"Synthetic oils tend to keep the internals cleaner than petroleum based oils because of the absence of minerals and ash that cannot be completely refined out.

Lubricity is supposed to be superior with syn oils but petroleum based does just fine and is much less expensive. The biggest mistake people make when using synthetic oil is that they somehow believe that they can extend the change interval.

They should not. The synthetic gets contaminated at the same rate as petro oils do from the combustion process and thermo-cycle condensation.

Also, it is a no-no to top off synthetic with petro and visa versa.

You would use the same oil filter with either oil.

Do yourself a favor though and do not fill the oil up to the top mark on the dipstick. Run the oil level from about 1/4 the way down from below the "FULL" mark (3/4 the way up from the "ADD" mark) and you won't run the risk of aerating the oil.

This is not particular advice to Honda but to all gas and diesel engines."

"well, we use quarts here. so,

"well, we use quarts here. so, the info about 2 litres should make that come out just right. should end up about 1/2 way down the dipstick.

thanks for the advice."

Back