Logo

New boater needs help 1987 140 hp

dnap

"I bought a 1978 Challenger with a 140hp Johnson about a year ago. I use it about once or twice a week. For the first six months, it ran reasonably well, although getting it started has taken longer and longer after the six month mark. With the recent cold snap, I decided to run the engine on the trailer for a little while, since I won't be out on the water for a while. The small wheel on top of the starter is not rising enough to meet the "flywheel" and turn the engine, just spinning. I am on a very limited budget and am fighting a non-fishing spouse for every dollar. Any suggestions? Also, I have blown three battery terminals (negative side) over the past three months. They are literally exploding into pieces. Thanks for ANY input. I am desperate."

What shape is the main harness

What shape is the main harness to the batteries in. Are they corroded/green or brittle. Could be that the wire is bad and you have to much resistance in combination with a big draw. (the starter) If they are original to the boat you may want to look at replacing them.

Well start by making sure thay

Well start by making sure thay the pinion gear is free on the strter motor shaft. It should turn freely and easily run up the shaft to engage with the ring gear on the flywheel. If it does not then clean and oil very lightly.

Check that your battery is fully charged

Also worth getting your battery properly tested (or sustituting a known good battery). Just because it shows as fully charged on a voltmeter or hydrometer does not mean that it can deliver the high current required by the starter motor.

Check/clean/remake all the connections between battery and starter also the negative ground connection. Any poor connections can result in the motor spinning but not fast enough for the pinion to engage with the ring gear.

Pay particular attention to the negative terminal that you have blown several times. There must be a problem there and it may well be the same problem that is causing your starting trouble. Poor contact there somewhere I suspect.

Final thing to look at is the solenoid. Cautiously bridge the main terminals with a short heavy cable if that works then the solenoid is suspect.

"Thanks for all of your help.

"Thanks for all of your help. I turned an "adjustment bolt" this afternoon and got it to start, although I had to turn it a couple of times after it ran a few minutes because it kept "falling" to its previous level. Could it be that I need a new starter?

As far as the battery problem, I have already replaced the wires all the way to the ignition. Is it possible that the negative sides are blowing because they get too hot. I will sometimes engage the ignition 15 to 20 times to get it started in the past.

Again, thanks to anyone who is willing to give me some tips."

If they are too small a wire.

If they are too small a wire. I think replaced all my battery cables last spring with #2 guage.

Sounds like my next step! Tha

Sounds like my next step! Thanks Rollie and VicS for all your help. I will keep you posted.

Dan

Back