Logo

1895 Evenrude 140 hp driveshaft

emounts

"My mechanic says the gear in the lower unit and the gear up top do not match and should have the same part number because they are sold as a unit and that is why the driveshaft broke. He said the driveshaft was spinning in the top and when it caught it snapped the driveshaft, and that the bearing had gotten very hot. He says once he replaces the two gears and bearing all should be fine. What do you think?"

"not a problem.....ask him..wh

"not a problem.....ask him..what his warranty is,..and take it back the sec it fails......did'nt he just rebuild it....not necc,slamming the guy,....just saying,..i am VERY leary of snapped shafts,...it IS rare...he is correct ,..F and clutch dog r sold as one unit...why did it fail,...in the first pl.....?..often times,..it just does not matter,..u clean/rebuild use new parts,..all is well.....happens again,..out the door it goes,..better for customer,better for tech..better for shop....now days,w/ebay,..craigslist,computers,...online knowledge,..it makes no sense to keep kickin,a dead horse.....of course the rebuild will last a while,...and i am all about LONGEVITY....that sep the mechanics,fr the parts changers...but,..we all had to learn!....ask what hi warranty is,...and YOU...enforce it.....reputable shops,..chg a fair labor price,inst needed parts,and stand by...what they have done........"

"Not sure why it failed twice,

"Not sure why it failed twice, he did not replace the gears the first time so I hope it fixes it."

"in my above ramblings,... my

"in my above ramblings,... my statement,should have read-- forward gear and PINION....come as a set...i thought i missed type this,..at 5am..."

"Used LU's are cheap, plen

"Used LU's are cheap, plentiful, and I have never bought a dud. I know which way I would go."

Back