Logo

2001 150 HP Evinrude

raymoe

"I am a soon to be first time

"I am a soon to be first time boat owner, I am looking at a 2001 Lowe Tahiti 194 Deck Boat, it has a 2001 150HP Evinrude. I have been doing some research on Evinrudes and notice that some motors are painted white and some are painted black. Is there any significance to the color change\. I know Evinrude went belly up around 2000, is the Black 2001 150HP 2C motor reliable. any history on this motor would be appreciated

Thanks Ray"

"i think the blk ones,are the

"i think the blk ones,are the vindicators,faststrike,etc... that yr eng would be a good one,...DRIVE it,and at the minimum,do a compression test...its well worth the money,to have a trained tech ck that eng prior to purchase,...again,at the very least run it on the water.."

"I believe the 2001 model year

"I believe the 2001 model year would still be an OMC motor from before the bankruptcy. They are pretty rare as the company went down in December of 2000. That year would be identified by the red arrow like logo and the Ficht Ram logo. BRP started with the 2002 model year. The logo had 3 horizontal lines under the Evinrude name. It also had "Ficht Ram Injection" spelled out across the side of the cowl. 2003's were re-labeled "Direct Injection"

White was usually ocean series. The dark blue engines are the standard engines. I don't think there was really that much difference between them in later years.

Building on what JW said above, most of the engineering challenges were worked out of the Ficht technology by then. There were quality control issues relating to the company about to go under. I would expect any of those issues to have been worked out of the motor by now. I own a 2000 Johnson 150. I haven't experienced any issues related to poor QC in my first year of owning it.

The 200-250 hp motors had the fuel leak and explosion issue, but BRP recalled them and fixed the injectors after they took over the company."

Back