Logo

GM 18L NEED HELP

uti2007

I just bought a 80s model dixi

I just bought a 80s model dixie ski boat with a 1.8L gm motor. The piston rings have been blown in the motor and the cylinder wall is damaged. I have tried to find another 1.8L gm engine block to replace it but i havent had any luck. I have found a couple of 2.2L and i am wondering if these will fit or if there is any other motors that will bolt up?

Is it from the "19" 80

Is it from the "19" 80s. I am not aware of any 1.8L gas engines used in recreational marine applications. 2.5 and 3.0 engines are quite popular. Buick had a 1.8 engine during that time but I don't ever recall seeing one marinized.

Can you post a pic? I'm curious.

This is the first time i sat d

This is the first time i sat down and researched it and it is actually a 3.0L. The guy i bought it from said it was a 1.8L. maybe thats why i couldnt find a engine block for it. but i am still curious if i can change the motor and put a bigger one in there.

"You can upgrade to a 6 or 8 c

"You can upgrade to a 6 or 8 cylinder but you will need a complete engine assembly, not just a longblock. The 3.0 is the best replacement without making some major changes in both the boat and the drive system. Upgrading to a V/6 or V/8 will require changing the motor mounts, the exhaust system and the outdrive gear ratio. These are pretty involved and expensive upgrades. If you can find a junk boat with good engine, it can be worthwhile but if not, you are better off going with another 3.0.

Good luck,
Rick

PS: The 3.0 was not common in the US in the automotive industry so you will not likely find a junk yard motor"

thanks for the info. i guess m

thanks for the info. i guess my next move is to contact a machine shop and see if they can bore it over and get bigger pistons.

Back