Logo

Yanmar 3gm30 with stuck trottle

bubbabill

When I was putting up the boat

When I was putting up the boat this fall I found the trottle lever on the engine was stuck. My fist question would be how tough should it be to move?
I have been told it is most likely the HP pump that need rebuilding.
Has anyone seen this before?

"yes it is a 1988 vintage. I h

"yes it is a 1988 vintage. I have owned it for 5 yrs and has always run well. it only got tight once earlier in the summer but moving it by hand a few times freed it up. this time it is locked tight very hard to move by hand, the cable would never do it.

"

You should spray some penitrat

You should spray some penitration oil on the lever and try to get it in the shaft area inside the triangle plate that goes under it. Work it by taping it back and forth with a small hammer. Be firm as it will not break. Spray more pen. oil on it and let it sit. Above the lever is the heat exchanger. You will see a hose going to the front cover of the heat exchanger. This hose has raw water or sea water in it. Tighten the clamp or replace the clamp and hose if need be. It has a slow drip when your engine is opereating and guess where it drips on to. Yes! The trottle lever.

Sweet. the only other recomend

Sweet. the only other recomendation that I gotten was to have the pump rebuilt. I wasn't looking forward to moving the engine so I could do that.

I do like your idea alot better.
I think your must be spot on. I have been searching for a small coolant leak. Ill be there tomorrow to give it a try. At least I'll give it a good dose of PB Blaster.
Thank you so much for the help.

"We have repaired many of the

"We have repaired many of the throttle controls when we go out and service Yanmars. The sea water has corroded and seized the lever and penitrating oil and the tapping back and forth will loosen it and you will be on your way. Yes I have seen the remarks of re & re the fuel injection pump, but that is not the problem.
Take care .. Ron"

Back