Logo

Honda 40 4 stroke Tilt amp Trim

doorpro

"Hello all,
I am trying to re

"Hello all,
I am trying to remove the tilt and trim unit from my friends whaler because when he tries to bring the motor up or down it simply clicks at the solanoid and we're thinking that the motor needs rebuilding.
We have removed the bottom bolt that goes throught the transom bracket holding the hydraulic system in place but it still won't move.
Is there something else that I'm missing?

Please help,
regards,
Doug."

"Yep...

Not an easy underta

"Yep...

Not an easy undertaking without the right equipment.

Double check that there is voltage getting to the motor when the trim switch is operated. You could have a bad trim relay. That is much easier to change.

That being said...
There is a collar going thru the bottom part of the trim unit. You have to remove the steering tube nut and loosen one of the stern brackets and spread them apart. You remove the collar, bushings and wave washers and then the e ring to remove the top pin.

Be sure to support the engine, since you will have to unbolt one side of the motor to split the brackets."

"Try unplugging the motor and

"Try unplugging the motor and run jumper wires from both + and neg. battery to the motor harness. Polarity doesn't matter. If the motor runs, you don't need to remove it and it is, most likely, a bad relay. If it doesn't run, then follow Mike's instructions for removal as it is obvious he has done this a time or two.
Watch those fingers and good luck."

"Hi Mike & Jimmy,
I did i

"Hi Mike & Jimmy,
I did in fact unplug the power wires going to the unit and ran power to it and unfortunately it's dead, not a peep.
I had removed the tilt and trim on my Yamaha outboard and it was very simply however i think this one is a job for the Honda repair people.
Thank you both for your help,
regards,
Doug."

Back