Logo

Motor Runs Poorly

kello1

"I've been experiencing pr

"I've been experiencing problems the last few times starting my 40hp Tohatsu. It takes about 30-40 minutes of cranking the motor before it finally starts and the throttle has to be set at least 1/2 to 3/4 to keep it running. Putting it in gear is tricky, not letting the motor die. Once in gear, at full throttle, it putts, jerking as if it's not getting enough gas. After a few minutes the motor seems to kick in but doesn't run very smooth. It sputters and jerks and it's not running at full power. when putting it back into idle again the throttle has to be at least 1/2 or it dies. I'm pretty sure the gas is fine, the boat is run at least once a week and gas is topped off after every use. Also, I can smell gas and see the gas in the water when trying to start the motor so I'm pretty sure gas is getting to the carbs. I checked to make sure I'm getting a spark also. Any idea what may be causing this?"

"There are three separate syst

"There are three separate systems on your engine that can cause a problem.

Fuel
Mechanical
Ignition

If you really have spark at all engine RPM's then you have eliminated ignition.

If you really have gas getting through the carburetor(s) you have eliminated fuel.

That would leave you with mechanical...But, I don't think you really have eliminated the fuel system as the source of the problem. You need to open your service manual and test each part of the fuel system and by process of elimination determine the cause of the problem"

Back