Logo

89 mariner 25 hp no spark

carhartt123

my motor is a 89 mariner 25 hp

my motor is a 89 mariner 25 hp 2 cycle just bought it for $300 good compression just has no spark. I have a guy looking at it now he said it is probably the stator but would let me know. how much should this job cost to be done? Should I just be doing it myself is there an easy way to check if this is the prob or is the part cheep enough to just replace

"No spark at either cylinder w

"No spark at either cylinder would be indicative of a stator or switchbox. Both items (OEM) are in the 150-175 dollar (each) catagory, plus an hours labour.

CDI/Rapier (aftermarket) produces both parts which sell for 20-25% less than OEM, and they are decent quality which I wouldn't hesitate to use.

Changing either part is not difficult although you need to pull the flywheel to get at the stator - so depending on your mechanical skill level (and your tool collection) you can decide whether an hour or so of "shop time" is reasonable.

Is there an easy way to check the parts? Yes and No. The tests are easy. Preliminary tests can be done with an ohm meter.

However, if those numbers are out of spec, secondary tests should be performed with a DVA meter (which most people don't have lying around so would require some minimal shop time to test anyhow).

I would wait for the quote from the shop. For them to check and replace either component I would expect the bill to come in at about 300 bucks.

That particular motor is easily worth 1000 bucks in good running order and definately worth fixing. The 25 Merc and Merc/Mariner models built between 1986 and 2005 are probably the best 25 horse ever produced by any mfg.

If you can get her back to normal for 600-700 bucks (including the original cost) you have done very well."

Back