Logo

Tilt oil 2008 20 hp

"Well, I saw your post from Tu

"Well, I saw your post from Tuesday and was waiting for someone who ACTUALLY knew the exact specification for one of these units to answer you as I actually don't know.

But, I don't want you to feel ignored. I have always had good results using a name brand (I use STP) power steering fluid in power tilt mechanisms but I suspect you probably only need a good quality jack oil for that assist system.

I personally wouldn't be afraid to use the power steering fluid but your results may vary. How's that for some legal-ese?

Now, that may spark someone to shoot me down in flames and you might get a more official answer. We'll see.

Good luck."

"Oh, forgot to mention that if

"Oh, forgot to mention that if you decide to use something other than OEM, you would probably want to drain, refill, use and drain again as I never use the PS fluid to top off as I generally only see these things when they don't work at all and am doing tear down and repair. Some fluids may have miscibility (mixing) issues with each other and then you would get poor results."

Your question was not perfectl

Your question was not perfectly clear...so here goes...

If you have power tilt...you use ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid)

If you have the gas assist tilt...it is not considered to be a servicable unit. There is oil in it but under pressure from nitrogen gas.

Hope this helps.}

"Hi all thanks for your reply

"Hi all thanks for your reply I have a problem I don’t know if it is a gas assistant or normal with ATF oil. How can I be sure what kind of power tilt do I have?. on the manual it says(Power tilt is a convenience for tilting the motor, shallow water operation, and trailering only. It is not designed to be used as a trim function to adjust the trim angle of the boat). The outboard is Honda BF 20 with remote control and electric. Thanks Jason"

"If you push a button on the s

"If you push a button on the shift lever to raise it up or down on its own, it is power tilt. Use ATF."

"And Jason, if it is power til

"And Jason, if it is power tilt like Mike said, you cannot use it to trim the motor out, away from the hull, while underway as it is just not strong enough to overcome the push of the prop. And, if you keep laying on the switch and keep the pump in pressure relief, you'll shorten it's life.

But, a technique you can use to find your best trim at speed with one of those is to leave the moter trimmed well too far out and then after you're on plane, trim it in to achieve the best "nose up" trim on the bow. This is where the tilt is working with the power of the prop pushing the boat forward. Then, you can leave it there btween starts and stops until you need to raise it for shallow water.

Of course if you go too far, and the hull flattens out, you will need to slow way down and start over but you will get a feel for how it works and be able to trim up the boat pretty efficiently with a little practice."

"And...once you find best posi

"And...once you find best position, you can move your tilt pin (on the bottom part of the mounting bracket)so that the motor will stay in the desired position. You have a think three sets of holes to choose. The pin is spring loaded and you just pull it out of the one set of holes and slip it into the desired position.

This is all probably more than you really wanted to know..."

Back