Logo

1989 150 hp black max starts on muffs but not in water

mercurymark

Contributing Member
"Had a crack at changing my impeller on my 89 blackmax V6 150 gee gees. All seemed to go well, gears work pee going running like a dream.....on my drive. Put her in the drink and it just will not start. Occasionally it will fire run rough for a few secs then die again. Took it out the water and it fired first key turn. I did notice water coming out of the prop exaust. Is this right, have i buggered something up....
Help please. Thanks."

Water out prop is normal...sta

Water out prop is normal...stalling or not starting once back pressure is added in water is not a cooling issue. Check compression. Wondering if impeller was changed due to an overheat situation?

I will check compression but i

I will check compression but if the carbs needed tuning surely it would run sick on the muffs. I changed the impeller as a matter of routine maintenance and the boat was running fine before. Compression was done by me 6 months ago and were all around 110. Should i have put some gasket seal on the bottom end when refitting the gear box to leg.

"No need to put gasket sealer

"No need to put gasket sealer between foot and lower unit.I would check compression again,seeing as it has been 6 monthes. did it overheat before changing the impellor? Make sure you got spark on all 6cyl and check plugs,clean carbs.when was the last time it was running good? right before the water pump was changed?"

Panic over. I run it up to tem

Panic over. I run it up to temp before taking her out again and started first touch of the key. Its running even better than last year. I have never tried starting it cold in the water and may have flooded it. Compression on all cylinders is good at over 100 on all 6.

Back