Logo

1947 Johnson 5hp Model TD20

mhyams

"My father gave me my grandfat

"My father gave me my grandfather's '47 Johnson TD-20 and I have a question.
I just put new rings in it. Everything went back together correctly with no problems.
I was told points are set at .020 and plugs at .030
When I hold a plug against the crankcase I get a hot spark, but it seems it is intermittent. I pull a couple of times and get spark. I pull a couple of more times and get no spark.
I have tried engine starting fluid in the carb intake and even in each cylinder and I can't get it to fire.
I removed the carb and held my thumb over the intake hole in the "intake manifold" and pulled and I don't feel any "suction" from the pistons.
Pumping the carb primer does not appear to pump fuel into the intake. But the carb is clean and appears to be okay.
I was told these old motors do not have "reed valves" since they are a "side draft" design. Is this correct?
The coils appear to be in excellent condition, as do the condensors. The plug wires are in good shape. The "timing plate" and magnet are keyed on the crankshaft and can only go on one way. The magnet is marked "Top" so it's on right. The key is in good shape. The flywheel is also keyed and is in good shape.
What could be causing intermittent spark? Could the plugs not be firing when screwed into the head? And if so, why?
Should I check resistance in the plug wires and what should it be? Should I test the coils?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Mark"

"There are sometimes problems

"There are sometimes problems with the ignition system not working while the plugs are in the block. Apparently it is due to pressure exerted on the plugs that prevent the spark from developing. Usually due to bad plug wires. The people at http://www.aomci.org/ will have the help you need for that old of a motor."

Thanks for all the help. What

Thanks for all the help. What is the cylinder bore on a new 1947 Johnson TD-20 supposed to be?

According to a post over at ao

According to a post over at aomci.org it is 1.9375 as standard. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Back