Logo

Alarm goes off when driving 2003 60 hp

goob

"i have a mercury 60hp 2003 outbard EFI, alarm goes off whilst driving at around 4500rpm, the oil pressure has been tested and ok, if i put it back into neutral for a few seconds and take off alarm will stop but if i take off quickly alarm will go and engine will seem to missfire until i select neutral for bout 5 seconds and go again, maybe will go for about 10miutes of driving and this will keep happening, i have had it into dealer they say it has 720 code errors in computer..which they told me cannot be cleared? and that they recommend replacing the fuel pump at $480au an replacing the computer at $1800au, which sounds very expensive. what would you suggest to do or try."

"Set it afire and collect the

"Set it afire and collect the insurance money! (Just kidding.)

I'd suggest you try to find someone with a similar motor and try swap parts, or locate used parts on eBay. I see complete electrical systems for even newer (to me) motors like yours now and then.

Glad I have carbies!

Jeff"

"Gavin, it sounds like you are

"Gavin, it sounds like you are a victim of "modern technology".

Unfortunately, modern computer controlled, sensor driven motors can not be fixed with a screwdriver and some duct tape.

If one of the electronic components goes it's always a "pull and replace", just no way around it.

If you feel comfortable doing the replacements yourself you could spend between 35 to 85 (USD) on a repair manual or a factory service manual, and order the parts yourself (about 900 US plus shipping for OEM, possibly cheaper if you can find an aftermarket supplier - many will ship) OR check buy/sell places like EBAY and see if you can find some used parts.

Unfortunately, you can't make up a "widget" in the garage that will keep her running for another season or so like you could with an older carb model 2 stroke.

Your current issues are one of the reasons so many (newer) motors end up in the scrap heap - they cost alot to fix....

Only you can decide if you are willing to drop 2K to repair a couple small components on a 7 year old motor that retails (new) for about 6500 bucks (on our side of the Pacific)...."

"I too would look for used par

"I too would look for used parts, hopefully you can isolate the problem to a single part, saving you money. Even if you do end up buying more than a single electrical component to fix the problem..if cheap enough it is always nice to have good spare parts on hand for the next time."

"i have had it in several time

"i have had it in several times to dealer now, and now they are second guessing it may be overheating and replace thermostat, i think they just want me too keep spending money...typical. thanks for advise i,ll get myself a repair manual and try to start getting some 2nd hand parts and try them, if i can isolate problem then i will buy new part and get a collection of spares going."

Back