Logo

90hp v4 died suddenly

munks

"Hi I have a 1987? VRO V4. Bee

"Hi I have a 1987? VRO V4. Been running well, but today dragging a biscuit around on the lake at around 3500 rpm it just lost all power and died real quickly. ( No alarm horn, which I have tested and has worked in the past when water was partly blocked). Motor wound over fine but wouldn't restart. Left for a minute and restarted with use of high idle lever on the control box. wouldn't run at normal idle. Managed to slip it into gear and putt back to boat ramp almost like it had gone to limp home mode. When back home I noticed fuel and oil in the outboard well, took the cover off the motor and could see it had been leaking out the small holes in the front of the carbie cover. Removed this and a small flood of petrol ran out as I did so. Now I'm wondering if I might have some sort of fuel pump failure?. Had pressure in the primer bowl and tank vent was ok. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.
Thanks Andrew"

"One of the carbs flooding due

"One of the carbs flooding due to the needle valve not seating I should think.

You should be able to see which one it is, Check the float and the needle valve.

(new needle valve, if you have to fit one, will probably come with a little clip that fits on the needle and hooks onto the float arm)"

"Please excuse my ignorance as

"Please excuse my ignorance as to the best way to tell as I am new to ripping outboards apart, looks like a few hours work to get the float bowls apart under there. It looks to be only a minor part of the problem though as I ran the motor and noticed only the right side is warming up, the left doesn't seem to be firing as it stayed cold and the plugs are covered in unburnt fuel. Put a spare spark plug on the top lead and sure enough no spark so I think my main problem is probably the left ignition/CDI pack possibly?"

"sound to me like a power pack

"sound to me like a power pack,test spark on both sides it should jump 7/16 of an inch,they have tools for this,try using a screwdriver but be careful.just pull the plugs and spin it,if faulty pack check all connections,recent wire connections/modifications,etc etc.mine did the same thing i know from experence"

"I agree that it is most likel

"I agree that it is most likely the p/pack, but you should test the stator, trigger, packs, and ignition coils in that order."

"Yep Thanks Guys,new left powe

"Yep Thanks Guys,new left power pack and she's burst into life, now just need to sort those carb needles. Cheers"

Back