Logo

Remote gear shift cable

interd0g

Contributing Member
"Here is the thing. The gear s

"Here is the thing. The gear shift cable has a plastic end fitting at the engine end which connects to the gear shift lever in a 200hp Evinrude ocean pro. The gear shift has been getting very stiff lately and broke the remote.
Anyhow I notice the end fitting on the gear cable is spongy on the shaft it's on. If you take the cable off the engine mounted gear lever then hold the inner cable shaft still, the plastic end piece can be moved up and down is if there is rubber in there. The throttle end fitting on the other hand,
is rigid with a pin through.
My question is , is this right? does it have rubber buffers inside so you don't overrun the end stops when the single lever continues on to full throttle? We have no OMC guy in the country.
I might add - it does work still."

"sounds like u need new cables

"sounds like u need new cables...make sure ur remote control is ok...and only shift,if..1. the engine is running, 2. someone is spinning prop."

Thanks JW. I suppose this mean

Thanks JW. I suppose this means that there is nothing special about the gear shift cable as opposed to the throttle - no rubber thingy in there - they are both the same?

Back