Logo

Rope Around Prop Stopped Engine 1999 130 hp 4 stroke

hondaphil

"Yesterday a rope wrapped around the prop of my 1999 Honda 4 stroke, 130 HP and caused the engine to stop. I was doing idle speed. Now the engine will not even turn over, much less start. Ideas anyone?

Thanks."

"Hi Phil,
Sorry you had such

"Hi Phil,
Sorry you had such a bad piece of luck. As I tell the wife from time to time, boating can be fun...just not today.

Anyway, it sounds as if, when the prop stopped, something in the lower end got damaged from torque and is binding the vertical shaft. If the starter engages (goes "clunk") when you turn the key, then the vertical drive shaft is being held down below. You might be able to remove the prop shaft holder and see what is wrong.

If the atarter isn't engaging (silence) when you turn the key to start, then the shift select shaft is stuck in the gear it was in when the damage occured and is not allowing the nuetral switch to close. Again, though, the problem is probably down in the lower end and some disassembly will be required to find the problem.

Bummer way to end '09. The good news is that your engine is probably not damaged and should start and run as soon as the lower end problem is found and bypassed. The bad news is, the lower end may be a bit pricey to fix but that depends on what got damaged. Good luck."

Back