Logo

Hydrolocked 6354

74chev

"Hello, I recently attempted t

"Hello, I recently attempted to start this engine after setting for 10 years. It cranked partially around and abruptly stopped, tried again and it was solid. I recently purchased this engine and I could only assume it had good antifreeze in it.

Thanks!,

Tom."

"Hi Tom. Happy New Year.
I wo

"Hi Tom. Happy New Year.
I would get some packing material, say 25 thou thick (maybe pieces of Christmas card?), remove the rocker cover and slip one under each exhaust tappet. Leave the fuel shut off and see if she will crank over. Go carefully with the starter or turn manually to feel what is going on. Once she turns freely, remove the packing and see if she will turn over again. If all is ok, then try to start. I'd change the oil before I started her, and probably again after a few hours running. If she does run, make sure you run her until she is good and warm to ensure that all the water is blown/evaporated out. Alternatively, you can loosen the injector bolts, but that may cause a leak at the injector seals. If there has been water you may be in for a head removal anyway, but see how you go."

Back