Logo

Oil leaking from DD 671ti 450hp

bermuda

"Hello, I recently purchased a

"Hello, I recently purchased a 40' Trojan with Detroit Diesels 6-71ti 450hp. Previous owner said that engines had been rebuilt and had about 250hrs on them and Fluid analysis during survey was good. Both engines start easy and run smooth, but I just noticed that the port engine is leaking oil toward the front of the engine.I just topped up the engine oil and it is now down to the low level. I am hoping it is something simple, and will appreciate any advice on what may be causing this leak."

"Marvin is correct. Only someo

"Marvin is correct. Only someone "on the scene" can pinpoint the leak. Entire area needs to be cleaned and then engine run and frequently inspected to isolate. First rule of leak detection involving a fluid is; look high even though you might see it low.

Gravity always has to be considered and a leak can originate several inches away and above from where you are observing it. Look for a "leak path" rather than a puddle and you won't get fooled.

Things that come to mind on the front of the engine are:
valve cover gaskets , cylinder head perimeter seals up high and;
water pump or it's O ring seal and possibly fuel pump or fuel pump gasket at mid block.
And, crankshaft seal way down low. Good luck."

"Gentleman, thank you for your

"Gentleman, thank you for your responses. Am having it looked at by a mechanic this weekend. The leak appears to be on the left side of the engine facing forward. When I first noticed oil on pads under engine, I cleaned the area,
replaced the pads, and took her for a short run. After I shut her down I did not notice oil on pads, but pad was saturated the next day."

Back