Logo

1998 200hp Mariner Magnum EFI

sthomas56

"I have a 1998 200hp Mariner M

"I have a 1998 200hp Mariner Magnum EFI on 201 Pro Stratos XL. The other day I came home and the motor had trimmed all the way up by itself, when I trimmed it down it made a creeking sound and then stopped half way down. I kept mashing the trimm down button and it started trimming down. I raised and lowered it a few times and it still made the creeking sound. What can this be?"

"Hi James,you could try greasi

"Hi James,you could try greasing the nipples where the outboard pivots on the transom bracket.give it heaps and trim the motor up and down.see if that helps"

Why does my positive (red

Why does my positive (red post) wing nuts get too hot to touch? Do I have the right kind of wing nut on the post?

"James, I suspect it has nothi

"James, I suspect it has nothing at all to do with the nut.

When a battery post overheats it can usually be tracked down to either a short circuit somewhere, a poor connection, or a toasted charging unit (which ultimately boils the battery).

You can start by cleaning up the connections between the battery and the starter and reconnect them snugly.

Then with the engine running, use a volt meter to check the voltage across the battery posts - normally you would expect to see about 14.5 volts (give or take a bit) if charging normally.

Since this is a big motor, the power should be regulated fairly well. If you read above 16 volts then there is a problem in your charging system.

Of course, this assumes that you are using a serviceable "Marine" battery - a regular car battery was not meant to be used with an outboard. The internal plates are different and you will kill it alot quicker than a normal "boat" battery..."

Maybe your battery post is get

Maybe your battery post is getting hot because there is a short in the trim motor or the trim relay since it trimmed up on its own.
I burned up 3 batteries because the sloinoid for my trolling motor was still carrying current when I had it in the open position. It was hard to find because the current draw was low but over a 3 day period would burn a battery up.

Back