Logo

Mariner 30 hp convert tiller to throttle control

yanko

I have mariner 30 hp ID plate:

I have mariner 30 hp ID plate:
Model OGO82410
M340402109 815894A52 30MH/MLH
I want to convert the tiller hand to throttle control man. QUICKSILVER model 16900A15
Pease your advise if its possible
thanks
Yanko

"Yanko, it's completely po

"Yanko, it's completely possible if you are willing to spend the money.

Converting from tillter to remote will require a "remote attaching kit" (Merc part number 826557A1 - about $95.00) which contains all the bits and pieces you need for "under the hood".

You will also require a control unit (shifter). You can spend anything from a couple hundred bucks to well above 1000 depending on how fancy you want. A Commander 2000 series from Merc will run 200-300 bucks plus about 30 bucks a piece for the cables (you will need 2).

Plus you will need a steering set-up. Both Teleflex and Uflex package a steering system in a box with everything you need (including a steering wheel with a couple of the packages). Plan on spending another 200-300 dollars for that.

From your model numbers it looks like you have a "pull start" model.

If you also want to convert it to electric start you will need Merc's "electric start conversion kit" (merc part 50-822462A1 - sells for about 370 bucks but includes the starter, new stator, regulator, solenoid, harness and hardware).

So if you do the work yourself, count on 500-600 bucks to make it "remote" and call it an even 1000 if you want electric start as well.

You could always go with a used control set-up (U.S. Marine controls are compatable with Merc, OMC, Yami and Force/Chrysler) and there is usually a few for sale on Ebay.

I wouldn't bother with a used steering set-up. Since they commonly seize you may as well start from new and care for it yourself. The steering cable is what costs all the money (a kit is often less cost than just the cable) and that's the common point of failure, so go new.

You don't need to include the electric start, but from personal experience you will wish you had.

I run a "manual" 15 horse on my 14 footer which is otherwise remote and having to get up from the console and get to the back of the boat to start her up is sometimes quite a pain. When my "to do" list gets under control I will convert it to electric...."

"Thanks for the information
R

"Thanks for the information
Regards the throttle control, I allready have in my posession the the remote thrttle control of
QUICKSILVER number 16900A15 ,so to adapt to the engine I need only the attaching kit 826557A1. no need electrical starter
I intend to conect the exsisting Steering was conected to my old Evinrude please your opinion
What year is the Mariner as above
Happy new year
Yanko"

"You have all the "expensi

"You have all the "expensive" stuff already, so the conversion should be quite easy. The steering should easily convert over - at most you will need the arm that goes from the end of the steering cable to the motor (and possibly a bracket for the motor itself if not equipped).

Your motor is a 1994 model. There was some changes made to the 30 horse in the 1995 model year (many Merc engines were updated that year for the new model runs), but most parts are still supported directly from Merc..."

Will the under hood adapter nu

Will the under hood adapter number 826557A1 work on my 1991 15 hp mariner? Model DO64227. I have steering and a omc shifter that should work. Happy New Year

"No, the kit for the 6 thru 15

"No, the kit for the 6 thru 15 horse 2 strokes is 42805A6 (about 140 bucks) - it will also fit earlier 18 and 25 horse models as well.

You may find that your OMC shifter won't work unless you can modify it.

The "portable" Mercs (25 horse and under 2 strokes) are operated by "pulling" the cables, so the shifter has to make the cables "shorter" at the engine end of things to switch gears or advance the throttle, other mfgs achieve this by "pushing" the cables which in effect makes them "longer".

You will have to confirm which way your control is operating. Many of the "generic" shifters (including all that were produced by US Marine)have a cam that can be reversed to suit your particular needs, however, many of the OEM branded controls will only work on their own designs...."

I have a 1989 15HP 2 stroke se

I have a 1989 15HP 2 stroke ser # OC236923 and I want to attach my remote control setup to it what attaching kit do you reccomend?

Back