Logo

Help pleasebefore i tear all my hair out

halo786

"Hi guys, please can somebody

"Hi guys, please can somebody tell me where to find the model number on an old Johnson seahorse 6hp, the main motor on the boat is a '74 70hp..so i'm guessing the auxiliary motor is probably around the same year...the main probablem seems to be that it hasn't got spark, its a two cylinder with two separate coil packs. when i pull it with the choke on and the throttle half open it definitely gets petrol through, you can smell it, and the plugs come out wet, but it hasn't even burped once, i've tried to check for spark but can't see any. i've disconnected the stop button on the front of the cowlling just to be certain that wasn't killing the spark. the plugs are brand new. any idea or tricks to starting it, or am i looking at replacing parts? thanks guys. (i need to find the model number to buy parts if neccesary)"

"The model number is typically

"The model number is typically on the top or side of the transom clamp. Else, look for a frost plug (small silver disc) on the motor head. It has the model number stamped on it."

"i found the frost clamp, but

"i found the frost clamp, but the number on it (40660030) does not show up on any of the websites i've tried..i'll check and see if i can find the model number. thanks mate."

"With 2 Ht coils outside the f

"With 2 Ht coils outside the flywheel its a bit younger than your guess as up to 1976 they had points ignition with the coils under the flywheel. 1977 onwards had Cd ignition.

Good chance if there is no spark from either coil that it is the power pack thats gone.

Up to 1979 they had a two part gearcase. Then there was a gap until 1984 when they reappeared with gearcases all in on piece and a different profile exhaust housing.

Later type HERE Actually an '84 6 hp Evinrude longshaft Yachtwin"

"Thanks very much guys, i'

"Thanks very much guys, i'll check for the model number today and try and source a power pack, its what i thought had packed up. much appreciated"

Back