Logo

Plug wires

bill_w

Advanced Contributor
"Hi. Is there a reason for us

"Hi. Is there a reason for using solid core plug wires? I have a late 50's vintage 18 Evinrude that needs new wires, and I'm wondering why I can't just make a set from an old set of car wires.

thanks in advance"

That would be acceptable.. no

That would be acceptable.. no problem. Solid core is probably what that motor originally came out with.

"I've seen it suggested th

"I've seen it suggested that the carbon cored leads used on vehicles will not withstand the vibration on an outboard.

Try them , if they fail then thats probably the reason"

"Carbon SCHMARDON.....piss the

"Carbon SCHMARDON.....piss them off as soon as ya can Mates!

1970s cars, not these ignitions........

B

PS: How the Bloody Hell dose one solder a Carbon lead into an Old Dear Ignition?"

PS: How the Bloody Hell dose o

PS: How the Bloody Hell dose one solder a Carbon lead into an Old Dear Ignition?
You don't!
Normally the plug caps are screwed on.

"Well, maybe Mate!. Us Down Un

"Well, maybe Mate!. Us Down Under have Old Dears as Well. I was not under any impression that Your Old Dears had Carbon Leads ever Mate. I have your old outboards back to 1931, they all have Carbon Leads NOT...........

Screwed On means nothing unless metel ID, Yeh?

B"

"I never said to be used on an

"I never said to be used on an OB, just that in cases (applications) where carbon wires were used, back in the stone age, they were never soldered!"

"Okay, now I'm really conf

"Okay, now I'm really confused. All the carbon wires I've dealt with on cars are just crimped onto the leads at either end, no soldering involved. I recall the plug ends on a 30's johnson I had were soldered onto rings that fit under the screw caps on the plugs, and the coil ends pushed/screwed into the coil.

I'm really asking if the ignition system on a late 50's rude will fire thru a carbon wire, as opposed to the solid core wires it has now.

thanks again"

Agreed -- use solid core wires

Agreed -- use solid core wires and toss the carbons. They are not worth the time of day on those old outboards. Just go to NAPA and buy New solid core wire and connectors.. you will probably have less than $6 bucks invested.

Back