Logo

Fuel problem 1986 40HP evinrude

tonym

Contributing Member
"hi out there i have a 40hp ev

"hi out there i have a 40hp evinrude 1986 model last time i used it was ok 6 weeks ago never had any problems before now it still starts up ok but to keep it running i have to pump up primer bulb at the tank. the little plastic fuel filter fills up straight away but if i stop pumping it slowly empty's out. I've checked all hoses for leaks everything looks ok, can anybody help with this problem.
cheers
Tony"

check the vent on the fuel tan

check the vent on the fuel tank make sure it is not clogged i have a 25 hp that did the same and had a clogged vent on the tank

Certainly check the tank vent

Certainly check the tank vent and also for any restriction to the fuel pick up from the tank but check again for air leaks. Everywhere from the tank right up to and including the filter.

"hi again if the fuel is going

"hi again if the fuel is going up to the plastic fuel filter by pumping the rubber primer bulb with no trouble at all and as long as i keep pumping the motor will keep running perfectly dosen,t that mean that the v.r.o.pump is not sucking the fuel up"

"[i]"v.r.o.pump is not suc

""v.r.o.pump is not sucking the fuel up"

Possiblly but eliminate all the simple cheap to fix things first. I don't see parts or an overhaul kit listed for the VRO pump, just a new one at $369.

Check also the connections between the filter and the pump and the filter itself ... make sure the O ring and gasket are in place and in good condition.

You say the filter empties out if you stop pumping the bulb. Where's it going if the pump is not sucking it up?"

"I've checked all hoses fo

"I've checked all hoses for leaks everything looks ok, -------- u can disassemble the vro to see damaged diaphragms..there is,a rebuild kit avail,for the fuel/air side only.i'll bet on a bad vro."

the fuel must be going into th

the fuel must be going into the motor because it will keep running as long as you pump the bowl every 15 seconds. I think the v.r.o.is not sucking enough fuel in' but as the oil side has been disconnected and i mix my own fuel in i priced a pump only and thy are only around the $100.00 i think i will try that.ive also noticed a bit of oil running down the motor from the exhaust after its been sitting but maby i put a little extra oil or can a faulty diaphragm in the pump cause this
thank you all for now and all the best for the new year
cheers tony

"understand,..u r pricing the

"understand,..u r pricing the old style,.fuel pump,..the VRO style,fuel only,is around 340....u can convert it tho..."

"You can't see an air leak

"You can't see an air leak in a fuel line. Many times the fittings will cause problems, but not leak fuel. I would try to borrow a different 6 gallon fuel can, and use a new hose/bulb assembly before I spent lots of $$ on any major repairs."

Back