Logo

1996 130HP Johnson Overheat light

startedinbermuda

Contributing Member
"Engine runs good but ever since I bought it, the tempeture light (one in 5 lights inside a round glass that shows low oil, add oil, temperature and a couple of others-total of five lights that go on when you turn the key then go off). The temperatutre light just stays on all of the time. I know the motor is not hot because I can run it all day and also there is a regular temperature gauge that shows the actual temperature that shows no overheat. That light always been on makes me nervous because if it ever really overheats the light is already on and I won't be able to tell. The previous owner said his marine mechanic told him it's a short somewhere and if he wanted to pay him many hours of labor to find it; he could find out. I guess to discourage a tedious endeavor. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?"

"yep..prob a bad sender,in the

"yep..prob a bad sender,in the head...but,..i am big on repl water pump components,when purchasing an outboard,..u can ck by disc brown wires,that go to head,w/key on...are u getting a horn w/this?..if not,,u have other prob's."

"jwb - Thanks. Water pump com

"jwb - Thanks. Water pump components all replaced before I bought the rig, however I did what you suggested and I got the horn OK. I looked at the lights I mentioned before and confirmed what I mentioned before. Four lights go on when ignition goes on then they each individualy go off except the "temp" light which stays on. This happpens even before I run the engine. Once I start the engine nothing changes meaning that "temp" light just stays on all the time. Any other suggestion you can guide me through. Thanks so much, George"

"bad tach..repl it,...but,befo

"bad tach..repl it,...but,before u do,..make certain,..u have the tan temp wires disc on eng,so u dont have a 'false' bad sender."

Sorry I'm a little confuse

Sorry I'm a little confused. You mention to replace the tach (like in tachometer that measures RPM's)? My tachcometer is in an entirely different area of the dashboard by itself and reads good. Do you mean replace the round gauge with the four lights that I have been referring to? Or maybe something else? I'm probably just not up to date on the lingo you experienced techs use???? Appreciate a little clarity at MY level of understanding. Thanks so much for your help. I feel good and on my way to fixing my problem after your last message.
George

Geoge

"yes,..there r 2 types,..the t

"yes,..there r 2 types,..the tach w/lites and 2" gauge lites only....repl the gauge w/the cluster of lites,..IF,..u have the tan heat sender wires disc on eng,and u feel u have no short in the tan wires."

"Thanks for your help I will 1

"Thanks for your help I will 1st mk sure no shorts in tan wires although that's going to be hard since they are inside a cluster of wires going from the eng to the tach. By the way you know where I can buy that 2" gauge on line. I didn't find it in Marinengine.com?
Just one more question not relative to this for which I want the input from a pro like you.
I keep my boat on a lift. When it's on the lift, is it better to keep the eng raised or lowered if I want to minimize the smoke when I first start it. Thanks,"

"lowered,in normal running pos

"lowered,in normal running position.do a search u can find the gauge...i am at hm,so i cant give u a part number,right now... look at shop.evinrude.com under johnson , then acc's.."

Believe me I had googled all o

Believe me I had googled all over the place before I asked you. I also tried shop.evinrude.com but nothing. No hurry whenever u have a chance.

"its in my 'accessories&#3

"its in my 'accessories' book...if u will clk on my name and send me an email,..i'll look it up tues am...that emauil,is shop."

"# Part # Description Qty Req&

"# Part # Description Qty Req'd Price Availability Order Qty
1 0176318 GAUGE, TECH SERIES. Contains English language only instruction sheet and is available in Johnson/Evinrude Parts & Accessories, OMC Australia and OMC Hong Kong marketing areas only. 1 $90.45 USD Available
"

"u should be able to get that

"u should be able to get that on every street corner in florida!!... if u cant find,u can order it at shop.evinrude.com i found it,where u select johnson or evin in the parts,look under ob acc's,then year,..then,sys ck gauge 2".."

"JWB:
Too expensive in street

"JWB:
Too expensive in street corners down here. I found it on line for just $40 including shipping and it's on the way. I have a question if I can indulge you once again: When I bought the boat the guy gold me he never fixed the "water temp" light because of the 2nd (numbers) temp gauge which I confirmed works. At that time he also told me that the light being on did not bother him but there was also a "audible tone" (which would be the tone that goes on when that light goes on) but that he had the wire for that tone pulled so it wouldn't bug him when he used the boat. Long winded explanation, I know, but here's the question (finally): When I receive my guage and replace it, would you know what color wire or area I should be looking at to find the wire that would have been disconnected to stop the "tone"? I aplogize for taking up your time. Your help is appreciated by many. Thanks, George"

"by disconnecting his horn,he

"by disconnecting his horn,he is disabling,every warning horn possible...low oil,no oil,and overheat..all send horn signals,using same horn..still using the oil system?."

Yes still have the oil injecti

Yes still have the oil injection system and working intact. I carefully let the oil get down to about 1-1.5 inches from the bottom while I watched the "low oil" light and it went on OK (but of course no warning horn). Then I added oil and it went out. I know the importance of that horn and that's why I asked you: Would you know what color wire or area I should be looking at to find the wire that would have been disconnected to stop the horn? Thanks

"yes,and i meant to put that o

"yes,and i meant to put that on there,..a tan wire,would be the sender wires,but he may have disc another to stop it."

Does the actual warning horn c

Does the actual warning horn come out of something behind the dash like a small speaker or a 1' square? Do you know what that might look like? The rig is all stock so whatever those warning horns look like when the engines are installed is what it's probably going to still look like.

JW:

I just got my gauge and

JW:

I just got my gauge and it is exactly what's in my dash now. Now I just need to figure out what the speaker/horn I mentioned before looks like so I can follow it and see where it was disconnected by the previous owner's technician.
Enjoy your weekend although I thinks it's very cold where you are since even down here in Sunny Florida it's been in the 40's and 50's for a couple of days.

"its 25 here in central tx rig

"its 25 here in central tx right now....there r many versions of the warning horn,..one,..is a blk approx 1x1 as u mention...another is in control box.what kind of control box,do u have?"

Yeah my son lives in TX (F

Yeah my son lives in TX (Fort Worth) and he was telling me this morning about how cold it was there. Thanks I do remember seeing that 1x1 black box but need to get back to U about the control box when I'm home later.

"hey george,...ur system ck ho

"hey george,...ur system ck horn,..will only sound,..w/engine running...u should get a lite anytime a tan is grounded,but,no horn,unless running,...needs to b ck'ed both ways.."

"JW: I replaced the gauge and

"JW: I replaced the gauge and I found where the horn that sounds when a light goes on while you are running and connected that too. When I turned my ignition the lites did their check like before but this time the "temperature" light did not stay on so I do believe your first diagnosis that the gauge was bad was indeed correct. Apparently that horn that sounds w/engine running also goes through a check when you first turn the ignition on since when I turned on the ignition after the new gauge was installed and the horn wires were reconnected, there was a louder 2nd horn than the tiny sounding one that always went on since the beginning. I am happy and the last test will be that when I take the boat out again (too cold and rainy today), I will let the oil run low (((carefully))) and see if when the low oil light goes on the horn I reconnected sounds. Thanks for all your help."

JW: Do you know what one may m

JW: Do you know what one may mean if they say they rebuilt a lower end of a unit including clutch ($2000). I never heard of anything in an outboard engine referred to as a clutch. Is there a clutch in the lower end of an outboard like mine?

"clutch DOG..........thats too

"clutch DOG..........thats too much money.....
go to-- sterndrive.cc and see if they have a unit,for ur enging.."

"Yeah I will when I need somet

"Yeah I will when I need something but first I would ask you. I have never heard of anything being referred to as a "clutch" in a marine engine so I was asking my expert (YOU) if there is such a thing and if so, what does it do?"

"the clutch dog,..is splined t

"the clutch dog,..is splined to prop shaft,..when u shift,it also has teeth on ea end that engages the apropriate gear...a common damage area,due to shifting too slowly,hitting object,or lots of use."

"that appears to be the unit u

"that appears to be the unit u would need...i have not sold one of those,however,i HAVE sold 3 of the complete sterndrives,and they look great,and have not been returned to me for any problem..3 yr full warranty........"

Back