Logo

Power down Pyro up

D

Don Kesler

" On the last 2 trips out in m

" On the last 2 trips out in my boat, my cruise speed has decreased from 3200 rpm to 2600 rpm because the has been lost and the pyro stays hot. I have had to back off the throttle because the pyro goes up. I don't know what the limit is but I backed off to keep it under 1050 degrees. Before
I got 3800 rpm full throttle, now I can only get 3200 rpm.
I thought when you have a loss of fuel delivery, The power would decrease but the pyro would also decrease. I checked one spot in the exhaust (that was restricted with exhaust crud) and it was clear. Down
in the outdrive is the other point that might be restricted. The outdrive normally is OK for a 5.7 gas engine. Mine is a 2.8 liter Isuzu turbodiesel with 10 pounds boost.
The water temperature is normal.
I have not checked the advance, but I have no reason to believe it has
changed.
Any clews as to what might be wrong?

Don "

I checked the fuel flow by pu

I checked the fuel flow by pulling the line directly to the engine (after the filter) and it was fine. I guess that is all the easy stuff.
Help

Don

"sounds like turbo is coked up

"sounds like turbo is coked up and not putting out. You did say you had evidence of exhaust crud. Take some of that crud, drop it in water and desolve. does it have evidence of water treatment chemicals or salts from sea water? If so there is an internal cooling water leak thats evaporating and leaving that eveidence behind.
do you know what the charge air pressure was before you had problems? what is it now?"

Back