Logo

Opinions regarding engine compression

T

Tony Delio

" I recently did a compression

" I recently did a compression test on a 40hp Force outboard which was obviouisly running on only one cylinder. The compression tested fine on both cylinders; so did the ignition, yet it was clear that the lower cylinder was not contributing.

I tried turning the flywheel by hand (clockwise) and felt no resistance when the lower piston was in the compression stage.

I took the engine apart and found that the lower cylinder needed to be bored, and the piston was scored on the exhaust side. The rings were frozen in the area where the piston was scored, but everything looked pretty clean. There was no sign of heavy carbon.

I have come across this same problem a few times, and would be interested in opinions about the discrepancy between the compression test and the actual condition of the cylinder. I'm also interested in observations form others who have come across similar problems.

Tony "

" Heat. The engine got hot.

" Heat. The engine got hot. Same as on imported sport car engines. You'll find that when a boat doesn't go fast enough for the driver(boats never will go fast enough!) the driver thinks he can speed it up. They run it rich for more power and push it to the limit. There isn't any cure, and speed props are expensive, so yer stuck wit dee fried engine syndrome! "

Back