Logo

43 OMC Motor stalls intermittently

S

Scott Clark

" I have a 1988 Four Winns wit

" I have a 1988 Four Winns with a 4.3L OMC Motor. The motor seems to stall for no reason after running for a min or 2. The motor only has about 30 hours on it. Second time I've had it out this year - ran fine the first time. Runs great when not stalling. Replaced most things I thought it could be - water seperator/fuel filter new plugs, wires checked cap and rotor etc.. Any Ideas?? Float stuck? Water in fuel?? "

"How does it stall? Cuts off

"How does it stall? Cuts off clean or sputters? If you goose the throttle, will it catch and run for a second? If so, it's fuel related. If it cuts off clean regardless of priming with the throttle, it's most likely ignition.

"

" This is exactly what my 4.3

" This is exactly what my 4.3 97 engine is foing to me, it is driving me nuts, I can not trust the boat.

My perfectly running boat went to the mechanic to have the water pump changed on warranty.

When I got it back they said they could not start it, ran the battery down and found (they say), that my oil sending unit had corroded contacts, they thought this was strange but shrugged their sholders and said they cleaned the contacts and started the boat.

I went to the lake today, it started first time, but once she warmed up it coghed and stalled like she was flooded, I was not able to start it for an hour, where she stalled again after I got up to speed (putting more fuel to it did not help, she went down like she was flooded, even did a little dieseling, I was not able to start her again.

I was towed home, I had a full tank of good gas, I my kill switch was not activated. I looked at the oil sender connections, they seemed ok? I asusp[ecting flooding as apposed to connections, but, i am an auto go, boats are new to me.

Any ideas what may be going on here? "

"Robert, timing is WRONG. Poi

"Robert, timing is WRONG. Point gapping is VERY important, but your timing is way off. You mechanic is looking to sell a long block when you screw your valves up. My 87 4.3 is 6 degrees BEFORE TDC. My timing was off the scale, after I corrected it, shes runs like a red gorrilla. Hope this helps."

Back