Logo

Engine Identification

S

Skip Grigas

" I bought a 1970 evinrude spo

" I bought a 1970 evinrude sportfisherman

I need to figure out exactly what engine it is so I can purchase parts. I have tried some online sources for casting numbers, but have not found my numbers. I think it is a GM motor. Straight 4 cyclinder. Head takes the flat plugs, rather than the beveled plugs. Any help would be appreciated.

I believe the casting numbers are 3937746 "

"Skip,

Is there a model num

"Skip,

Is there a model number for the engine on the nameplate on the transom bracket?

We have an online list of year and model numbers for pre-1980 Evinrudes here.

Regards,
Andrew"

" Andrew,

Thank-you for qui

" Andrew,

Thank-you for quickly answering. I am new at boat owning. I have found two nameplates with model and serial numbers on it. The plate says to reference these numbers when ordering parts. One is on the back wall of the seating compartment next to the capacity rating, and the other is on the back wall of the engine compartment. Is this the tags I need to be looking at?

Thanks,
Skip "

" Skip,

My mistake.... I sa

" Skip,

My mistake.... I saw 1970 Evinrude Sportfisherman and assumed that you had an outboard motor. I think what you are saying is that it is a 1970 Evinrude boat with a 4 cylinder GM inboard or inboard/outboard engine. Is that correct? If so there should be a nameplate on the engine with a model number and the name of the company that "marinized" the engine. Look for it and post the info here.

We can also supply manuals for most of the Evinrude boats if you need one. I would need the length and model number of the boat (that is probably on one of the tags that you already found).

If in doubt post all the tag info and we can probably figure it out.

Regards,
Andrew "

" Sorry for the confusion.

" Sorry for the confusion.
1970 Evinrude SportFisherman 19' I/O Titled 120hp
Model # 0047010
Serial # WI-35027

Engine Block # 3937746
E279 - from what I have found, I think this is manufacture date E = May 27th 1969
Head # 5998D1

These are the numbers I have found so far.
If I find any more I will post them.

I greatly appreciate all your doing, and I will be in touch for some manuals sooner or later.

Thanks very much,
Skip "

I have found a tag from outbo

I have found a tag from outboard marine corp
model #CUF19LB
serial#J0130598

any info on these will be great

thaks
Skip

" Skip,

I don't find th

" Skip,

I don't find that model number exactly... but

CUFM-19EX is a 120HP 1971 OMC Sterndrive
CUFR-19E is a 120HP 1970 OMC Sterndrive "

" I needed to rebuild the carb

" I needed to rebuild the carbs on this engine. I took one to my local Napa.
So between your info, and the tewnty minutes of digging, I believe I have determined what the motor is.
1969 (engine code, closness of model numbers you provided, info at napa said '63 - '71 OMC)
120hp (title, info you provided, info at napa said 120hp only one with dual carbs)

So it's an 120hp L4 OMC.

I just have one question, is this a I/0, or a stern drive? What is the difference?

Thanks again for all the information.

Skip "

"Skip,

Glad you found what

"Skip,

Glad you found what you needed.

Inboard/Outboard and Sterndrive are just two names for the same thing. An inboard engine with a through transom tilting and steering drive unit.

OMC Sterndrive manuals pre-1980.

Regards,
Andrew"

" I just purchased an older mo

" I just purchased an older model Mercruiser complete package. Engine and I/O
the fellow I bought it from has no idea of the year of manufacture, horse power etc.
The only I.D. I have found is a number cast in the engine block(near the starter). Would you be able to I.D. the unit(s) from this number ?
The engine is a 4 cylinder G.M. (Mercruiser) with a two barrel carb. The number on the block is 2770087 255 86
Your help would be very much appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.

Leonard Koornneef. "

" Leonard,

There should be

" Leonard,

There should be a nameplate on the engine with a Mercury serial number. Most Mercury products are identifiable from the serial number.

Maybe someone can help you with that casting number on the block... but I don't have a way of referencing from them.

Regards,
Andrew "

" Thank Andrew
I have searche

" Thank Andrew
I have searched the engine for I.D. plates again but there are no other marking other than the casting number. The only other thing I found on the casting was "Made in Mexico" which may indicate that it is a Chevy Cavelier block.
Thanks again for your reply, I hope that someone out there can identify this package or at least the engine.
Leonard. "

I have two questions regardin

I have two questions regarding a mercruiser/ I.O unit.
1- When installing the engine to the transom plate (engine mount) the manual specifies 2 fibre washers and two 'special' split washers. Are these necessary ? and what is the purpose ?

2- What is the distance from the I/O anti cav. plate to the keel of the boat ? Am I correct with 1 inch ?
How critical is this distance ?

I appreciate any info. Thanks and regards Leonard

" I recently purchased a 1989

" I recently purchased a 1989 thompson sportsman. It has omc on the manifolds and accesories but the engine tag say's mercruiser.It sounded good when I first started it'but after tuning it up using the 1989 omc spec;s it started running awful.I know the timing is different,but I dont;know the point gap or dwell. The motor is a 262 cid and the serial #is B627422.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Can you tell the year by the serial number? "

Trying to id an omc engine tha

Trying to id an omc engine that is in my boat It is an inline 4 cyl GM but I do not know if it is a 120 or a 140 and does it matter when trying to find the wet manifold will they interchange thanks for any help

"I am trying to help my hubby.

"I am trying to help my hubby. He is trying to remove the starter unit from a Mercruiser I/O boat. The information he has received states that there are 3 bolts(?) to remove & the unit should slide right out. Well... 2 days & many hours of frustration, & it still won't budge. Any ideas?"

"Just thought I would let you

"Just thought I would let you all know, my hubby solved the starter removal problem. Boat is running good, just needs a little carb adjustment.
Thanks anyway.
"

"I have an Evinrude 18 horse f

"I have an Evinrude 18 horse fast twin, serial number 15028-12100, can anyone tell me what year this motor is PLEASE.
Thanx, Paul}}}"

My dad has a 1978 model evinru

My dad has a 1978 model evinrude 115. He is curious as to the reason the model and casting number say 115 hp but it took the 85 hp fuel pump to fit it. Any clues?

"I recently purchased an 18 hp

"I recently purchased an 18 hp Evinrude outboard motor, SN: 18702R-E13771. I am trying to find the year this motor was made. Any help is appreciated. Thanks."

"I have a johnson 40 hp VRO ,,

"I have a johnson 40 hp VRO ,, Mod.# J40ELCUD,,SER.#B 7421100,, WHAT YEAR IS IT,,?"

I have an evinrude 7.5 hp moto

I have an evinrude 7.5 hp motor i found the tag and the model EBRCIC and serial E0007650. I have looked all over the net and can't find the year out can you help me.

"Dan,

This question should

"Dan,

This question should be in the Johnson/Evinrude section, not the inboard and sterndrive section.

That model is a 1981. The "CI" is "1981 model year".

The model is probably E8RCIC not EBRCIC."

"I have a johnson 50 hp and wo

"I have a johnson 50 hp and would like to know where the serial number is located, I can not find it."

I have a1977 rally 17 ft /470

I have a1977 rally 17 ft /470 sterndrive I/L4 cyl serial #4772668 Mercury. Can you tell me what model and size motor this is ?thanks

"i have evinrude 35hp outboard

"i have evinrude 35hp outboard model nr e35bacig , sr. nr b013265. can you tell me what year is it. THANKS"

I have a 2003 Mercury MA Engin

I have a 2003 Mercury MA Engine. It says 5.0L on the motor. The Motor Identification Number is OM367221. What is the horsepower for this 5.0 L (V8)

William

"I inherited a Mercury 25 XD o

"I inherited a Mercury 25 XD outboard, SN 6510527. Can you tell me the model year so I can order the proper repair manual? Thanks"

Back