Logo

Old 115hp inline six Merc just quit

toyman

" I'm brand new to boating

" I'm brand new to boating. It shows too because late last summer I purchased what I thought was a 1979 115hp Mercury, but by the serial # 2931097, it appears to be a 1970. Anyway, I had been running the boat all day, off and on, skiing etc, when it just all of the sudden quit. It didn't go like it was out of fuel, it just stopped. The only noise I heard was the "clicking" because it was in gear. Is there a simple test? Plugs are new. Wiring diagrams avaialble on-line? I've thought of the library. I wonder if the thing is worth dragging to the shop. Any ideas? Thanks much.
Jon "

did you try turning it back o

did you try turning it back over ?? if so what happened ?

" It turns over just fine, and

" It turns over just fine, and I hear compression.
Just won't even fire in the least. "

Did you check the fuel?? Mayb

Did you check the fuel?? Maybe you did run out of fuel. Does it have spark? Pull a plug (s) & turn the engine over & see if it has ignition.

these motors are bad for lose

these motors are bad for loseing fire because of the trigger it looks and works kind of like a distriputor cap on a car and are expensive to replace but these are good motors i would fix her

I wouldnt say they are good m

I wouldnt say they are good motors i have owned three of them and when all of them quit it was because of the same thing leaky water jackets and exhaust plates they rot out and thats it there is water in your cylinders

Back