Logo

Rebuild vs Replace

D

Don Wogaman

" I have my 1974 Westerbeke 4-

" I have my 1974 Westerbeke 4-230, 70Hp, British Leyland block, engine out of our Dickerson 41 for hull repairs. There have been no problems with the engine in the last 15 years, except for fuel contamination and some cooling component failures. The engine starts and runs well, with some smoke, but uses little or no oil. However, having it out in the sunshine is too good an opportunity for a refresher to pass up. So, we have removed the head for a look and determined that it is time for pistons and liners, bearings, etcetera. Now the question of rebuild versus replacement comes up. Rebuild looks like half the cost. We plan to move aboard for full time cruising within a year. We own extensive spares for the old engine, and have experience in its care, feeding and repair. The new high-speed engines are smaller, lighter, and may have better fuel economy. A new engine will require modifying the engine beds, etcetera. Parts for a new engine may be more readily available in out of the way places, but of course the sun never set on the British Empire which produced our block! So, the $7,000 question, the difference in price between rebuild versus replace is, what would you do, and why? This sum represents months of the cruising kitty... "

" Don,

I don't think We

" Don,

I don't think Westerbeke sold a lot of those engines. Parts are going to be hard to find in far away places... unfortunately the sun set on the British Empire 50 years ago!

Seriously, if are going to be doing extensive cruising you might be better off with a new engine now that has parts availablity around the world.

Perkins, Yanmar, Westerbeke...

Your engine bed spacing is 22.5" center to center. Most new engines will accomodate this, or at worst they might be narrower which could be accomodated by blocking inboard. Offset of the gear would be consideration, you probably have a Paragon 2:1 or a direct drive. Paragon parts are also hard to come by. When available they are very expensive.

If you did go with a new engine you could put yours back together and sell it as is to offset the cost.

It is hard to make a recommendation without knowing more, but the thing that makes the most impact for me is the extended cruising you plan on doing. Parts, service, and delay can be VERY expensive in certain places. You will sleep better with a new engine.

Regards,
Gil "

Back