Logo

Fuel line air leak

G

GLowell

" I think I have a small air l

" I think I have a small air leak in the fuel line to my Volvo MD1. When I bleed the line it works fine, but when it sits for several hours, it will not start till I bleed the line again. I have tightened everything as much as I dare. It would be nice not to have to bleed the line every time I want to start the engine. Is there a way to do a test to find the leak? I have not noticed fuel leaking. Could I add a primer bulb to the incoming fuel line? "

" Glowell, You can add a hand

" Glowell, You can add a hand priming pump, that might help in getting fuel to the system but won't solve your problem. Where are you bleeding the fuel line, on the suction side or the pressure side of the pump and are you getting air at this location? Is there a fuel booster pump in the system that might be getting week or maybe pulling air into the system? Is there a check valve in the suction line from the tank that may be letting the fuel run back, allowing the system to loose it's prime? You can put a test on the fuel system like you said, you will need to install some type of priming pump, a gauge and have a way of blocking the line at the tank. Let us know if any of this helps and how you are making out.
Stan Davis "

" Stan, Thanks. The fuel line

" Stan, Thanks. The fuel line has two filters and I am bleeding the line on the vacuum side using the bleed value just down stream of the final filter. The fuel is gravity fed. I am afraid to tighten the nuts too tight. Should I pull it apart again and use a sealant on all fittings? "

" Glowell, this is a good one!

" Glowell, this is a good one!!! The only thing that I can think of with out seeing the boat is there is something loose or cracked to be able to pull air into the system every time. Maybe the pick up tube in the tank is the problem. How long have you had the problem and did it start happening after changing filters or doing some type of repair to the fuel system?
Stan "

try hooking up aux tank and l

try hooking up aux tank and leave overnight hook directley to fuel pump

" Could anyone please advise m

" Could anyone please advise me as to the effect on my 22hp SABB 2GZ of running it on No.1 Stove oil (28 second) as opposed to the usual 35 second No.2 diesel, either occasionally or permanently? I intend carrying a big store of stove oil for stove and lamps, and wonder if it would be a practical backup supply for the engine. "

" I repaired a very similar pr

" I repaired a very similar problem on a Yanmar in a sailboat this year. By putting a priming bulb inline right next to the fuel tank, I was able to put just enough pressure on the system to find the problem. A banjo fitting at the fuel pump had a small air leak.. under pressure from the priming bulb I found fuel leaking from the fitting rather than it pulling air in. Replacing the gasket at the banjo fitting cured the problem. "

Back