Logo

I need info on buying a inboard system

T

Troy H

"I am looking for places to wh

"I am looking for places to where I can get a compleat inboard moter and drive. I am new to this. I am building a 18 x 40 houseboat. and dont really know if I want an inboard or out board. not looking for anything fast just a motor to push this barge. but looking for a few places that can sell me a compleate package to where I can just cut a hole in the barge and mount a motor. please e-mail me if you can help. thank you Troy H.
[email protected]"

"Troy,

You really need to d

"Troy,

You really need to detirmine what you need in order to do the job before you can go looking for who can supply the power.

In addition to the power, you have to consider steering and engine controls. It is not just a matter of cutting a hole and installing an engine and drive.

If your vessel really is a barge, you may be best off looking at an outboard arrangement of some kind. The reason I say this is because it will allow you to steer also, and not have to get into the barge to build an engine foundation. The problem is that standard outboards are made to push much lighter vessels. The RPM and the propeller size of a traditional outboard would be all wrong for a heavy, displacement hull like a barge.

There is a company called Harbormaster that makes outboard drives for commercial barges. Probably not suitable for a houseboat barge, but it might give you some ideas.

Inboard diesel power would also be okay, but you then have the challenge of steering, mounting the engine, shafting, the hull penetration/suffing box, access and ventilation of the engine room, etc.

If I were you I would try to find some other vessels similar to yours and see what they have done.

There are some web sites devoted to housboating, but probably focus on traditional houseboats, not converted barges. Try HouseBoating World and HouseBoat Magazine.

Good luck, not an easy project.... let us know how you make out!

Regards,
Andrew"

" Thank You for your reply.
I

" Thank You for your reply.
I have access to many sheets of 4 X 8 1/8 thich steel sheets, and enough tubing and angle Iron. And a welder that is laid off from work so he would like to build this project of mine. What I have plans for it to build a 18 foot by 48 foot by 2 foot barge. And build a 2 bedroom house boat on it. The displacement should be more than enough to hold the weight. I am not lookin to pull skiers behind me but just enough to get this barge to at least move up the Tennessee river. I believe the water moves around 5 MPH. I have seen smaller types but I would like a little biger. even twin engine out boards have crossed my mind. but was wondering is something like a chevy 350 or so would do the job. "

" Troy, maybe you should consi

" Troy, maybe you should consider finding a small runabout that you can tow this house boat. This can be about 16' to 18' with a outboard and some rubber fendering. It also would be good for running asure to get supplies.
Stan Davis "

Stan that is a good Idea. Tho

Stan that is a good Idea. Though I would like to keep this a one piece vessel. For I may be letting friends. use this houseboat. and don't really want to make it hard to maneuver around. I figure I may just have to use 2 mercs around a 100HP each. Though I would like to keep it an in board. If one of the moters go bad at least the other will be there.

" we built a 14'x 50'

" we built a 14'x 50' barge out of propane tanks last winter... we mounted 2 250hp johnson outboards on it.... it handles like a dream.. twins is the ticket... gives you the leverage to put it anywhere you want....2 150s would really be plenty...we reach the top hull speed at 4000rpm...any more than 9kts,+ the bow starts to dive....we safely move 20tons,+ the motors never break a sweat.....outboards give you ease of service,+ with the new 4 strokes out today,?? i wouldn't have ANYTHING BUT an I/O in my fishing boat.....BUT the outboards really make sense in your or the barges case... "

Back