Logo

2001 40hp Mariner not cranking over

slloyd

"I have a 2001 model 40hp mariner outboard that won’t start. I bought the boat last summer and it started first time every time and has been sitting idle since last summer. I did crank it over once during winter. I bought a multimeter and checked the battery. It has 12.7 volts. The accessories on the boat work fine but the motor won’t crank at all. Not even a noise. I replaced the spark plugs and can turn the flywheel easily by hand with the plugs removed. I have booked it in for a service but cannot get it done until mid January. My 10 year old daughter is hounding me already to go fishing and she has only been on holidays 2 days.
Any suggestions as where to start checking, and how?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
happy.gif
"

"Put battery on charge for awh

"Put battery on charge for awhile,clean and tighten all connections,check that there's power to the starter."

"And jump past the solenoid wi

"And jump past the solenoid with jumper cables, to eliminate that as well.

Jeff"

The first thing i did was tric

The first thing i did was trickle charge the battery for a day. Its fully charged. Last night i did check the power to the starter and there was 12.5 volts. I will try and bypass the the solenoid. If that doesn't work what next?
Thanks for the help.

"When you bypass the the solen

"When you bypass the the solenoid and it still doesn't crank,your starter need looking at.I think it sounds like a bad ground somewhere.Have a close look at the wires,small furry creatures with sharp teeth can make a mess of things."

I jumped across the solenoid w

I jumped across the solenoid with a screw driver and after a few sparks and a heart beat around 120 the starter kicked in and started cranking over. I am now sourcing a new solenoid for replacement.
Thanks heaps and my daughter would like to thank you to as she is after something bigger than a pinky

"5 day wait and $120 for a new

"5 day wait and $120 for a new solenoid, so i decided to try and fix it myself. A bit of fiddling and found that the solder contact was faulty. Having it resolder by a friend and hopefully back on the water soon.
Thanks."

I have a 40hp Mercury engine w

I have a 40hp Mercury engine with Thunderbolt Ignintion. It won't start after overnight standing. It turns over just fine but will not start or attempt to start. Yesterday it started everytime I cranked it over. Sun was shining and today it is cloudy and damp. What should I check first. Thanks for your help.

"Hi JP,
What year is your m

"Hi JP,
What year is your motor? Check that you are getting spark,fuel and good clean tight connections."

"Hey Noel,
It's a 1982. I

"Hey Noel,
It's a 1982. I think I have found the problem. Like you said I checked and cleaned all the connectors. I think the culprit is a no. 1 spark plug wire that has a high resistance. I'm going to replace it and see what happens. Thanks so much for you suggestions."

Back