Logo

OMC remote cables

interd0g

Contributing Member
"I am trying to identify which

"I am trying to identify which cables and remote I need to replace those on my 1998 Striper/Evinrude 200 ocean pro.
The problem is there appear to be several types.
My cables have at the engine end , plastic extensions with eyes that fit onto projections from the gear and throttle levers -maybe 3/16 round and secured by a nut and washer.
Looking at a catalog, some cables are shown with just a thread on the end and some with the plastic terminations like mine. Is this 'snap on'?
trouble is there is no agent in the country so I'm depeneding on you guys here.
Second of all, the plastic termination on the gear cables is free to move up and down on the cable an inch or two. Is that normal?"

"You need snap in cables.

T

"You need snap in cables.

The lost motion you describe is caused by bends in the cables, the more bends the more lost motion."

"Thanks for the info. I finall

"Thanks for the info. I finally got the remote off the bulkhead. For those who had this experience, on this remote the handle and front plate have to come off, then the remote with cables falls off behind the bulkhead -you hope you can get a hand to it .
My problem was I tried to remove the handle using only extreme force and adult language. In fact there is a hidden set screw visible through a slot in the handle boss, opposite the handle itself.
You have to know this. In my installation you need a contortionist to see under the handle.
Having got it off the problem was the anchor (plastic )for the gear cable outer had popped and was not to be seen anywhere, allowing the outer to slide up and down freely and no force was there.
Anyway, the remote and cables have done 11 years in the tropics and need replacing."

Back